Ban the Box Resources Page
The following Ban the Box resources will help employers better understand the Ban the Box movement.
Ban the Box Webinar Featuring ESR CEO Lester Rosen
Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR), has written a whitepaper and presented a webinar to show how Ban the Box laws that remove questions about criminal records of applicants from job applications are fast becoming a national standard that will soon affect all employers.
- ESR Whitepaper: Ten Critical Steps for Ex-Offenders to Get Back into the Workforce
- View a Recording of the Webinar "Ban the Box - What Employers Need to Know" presented by Attorney Lester Rosen
- Read ESR News Blog: Ban the Box Webinar from Employment Screening Resources on November 12
Ban the Box on ESR News Blog
The Ban the Box movement is rapidly spreading nationwide as evidenced by stories on the ESR News Blog. To read blogs about Ban the Box, please visit http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/tag/ban-the-box/.
Ban the Box One of the Top Background Check Trends for 2016
The annual ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends features a list of emerging and influential trends in the background check industry selected by ESR Founder and CEO Attorney Lester Rosen.
- Ban the Box Movement May Reach Tipping Point But Could Also Inadvertently Do More Harm than Good in 2016
Fair Chance Pledge
The White House is challenging businesses and higher education institutions to take the “Fair Chance Pledge” to create a stronger set of opportunities for people who have been impacted by the criminal justice system and to eliminate unnecessary hiring barriers for individuals with criminal records.
Resources from the National Employment Law Project (NELP)
NELP is a national advocacy organization for employment rights of lower-wage and unemployed workers and a major supporter of the Ban the Box movement.
- NELP Campaign: Ensuring People with Convictions Have a Fair Chance to Work
- Ban the Box: U.S. Cities, Counties, and States Adopt Fair Hiring Policies (Updated Regularly)
- Fair Chance – Ban the Box Toolkit: Opening Job Opportunities for People with Records (March 2015)
- Advancing a Federal Fair Chance Hiring Agenda: Background Check Reforms in Over 100 Cities, Counties & States Pave the Way for Presidential Action (January 2015)
- STATEWIDE BAN THE BOX: REDUCING UNFAIR BARRIERS TO EMPLOYMENT OF PEOPLE WITH CRIMINAL RECORDS (May 2014)
- 65 MILLION “NEED NOT APPLY”: The Case for Reforming Criminal Background Checks for Employment (March 2011)
- Racial Profiling in Hiring: A Critique of New “Ban the Box” Studies (August 2016)
Additional Ban the Box Studies
- Does “Ban the Box” Help or Hurt Low-Skilled Workers? Statistical Discrimination and Employment Outcomes When Criminal Histories are Hidden (Jennifer L. Doleac & Benjamin Hansen - July 2016)
- Ban the Box, Criminal Records, and Statistical Discrimination: A Field Experiment (Amanda Y. Agan & Sonja B. Starr - June 2016)
For More Information about Ban the Box
Please contact Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) by calling 415-898-0044 or 888.999.4474 (Toll Free) or visiting http://www.esrcheck.com/Contact-Us/.