ESR In The News
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) is featured in numerous national publications and websites. Here is just a sampling:
Top ESR "In The News" Stories:
Background Checks in California are Different than the Rest of the United States - Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), contributed a blog to the Northern California HR Association (NCHRA) website in March 2017.
Background Screening As a Commitment to Public Safety - ESR Vice President of Strategic Growth Dawn Standerwick published an article in December 2016 on FutureOfBusinessTech.com on how the need to hire the most qualified candidate has never been greater.
Lyft Averts FCRA Lawsuit Due to Spokeo Decision - ESR CEO Attorney Lester Rosen is quoted in an October 2016 article on the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) website.
Background Screening Goes with the Workflow - ESR VP Strategic Growth Dawn Standerwick is quoted in an October 2016 article on SHRM website.
Formulating Background Check Strategies To Minimize Insider And Post-hire Threats - Article written by ESR founder and CEO Attorney Lester Rosen and posted on SourceSecurity.com in March 2016.
Social media: Say something nice, or nothing at all - ESR CEO Attorney Lester Rosen is quoted in a March 2016 article on NWITimes.com.
- Push to Reduce Time-to-Hire May Impede Background Check Process - ESR CEO Attorney Lester Rosen is quoted in a February 2016 article on SHRM website.
- Know Before You Hire: 2016 Employment Screening Trends - ESR CEO Attorney Lester Rosen is quoted in a January 2016 article on the SHRM website.
- HR Weeds Out Applicants Through Public Social Searches - ESR CEO Attorney Lester Rosen is quoted in a January 2016 article on the SHRM website.
- Stop 'boxing in' former Ohio offenders so they can find work: Timothy Head and Stephen JohnsonGrove (Opinion) - November 2015 story that quotes from Employment Screening Resources (ESR) Ban the Box page: "By delaying this question until later in the hiring process,"reformed ex-offenders can be judged first on their knowledge, skills, abilities and qualifications to do the job." They can also be given a chance to explain their convictions and demonstrate that they have reformed their lives."
- Know Before You Hire: 2015 Employment Screening Trends - January 2015 article from Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) about ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends of 2015 selected by ESR Founder and CEO Attorney Lester Rosen.
- ESR Named One of the Top Dozen Background Check Firms by Business News Daily - Employment Screening Resources (ESR) was chosen as one of the top 12 background check providers in the January 2015 Business News Daily article 'Best Background Check Services: Roundup.'
- ESR CEO Lester Rosen Interviewed by Business News Daily about Background Checks - Attorney Lester Rosen, founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR), explains why businesses that do not use background checks when hiring new employees put themselves at risk in the January 2015 Business News Daily article 'Choosing a Background Check Service: A Buying Guide for Businesses.'
Recent ESR "In The News" Features:
- Background checks: What exactly can employers find out about you? - ESR Founder & CEO quoted in January 2015 article on KDVR FOX 31 Denver, Colorado website.
- Who's really taking you for an Uber ride? - December 2014 article on CNET.com featuring quotes from Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) Founder & CEO Attorney Lester Rosen.
- Background Checks and Seven Legal Risks for Staffing Vendors and Recruiters - December 2014 article on RecruitingTrends.com by ESR CEO Lester Rosen.
NO PI Exception to the FCRA - December 2014 guest blog by ESR CEO Attorney Lester Rosen for FindYourInvestigator.com.
California Background Checks: Different from the Rest of the United States - October 2014 article on HR.BLR.com by Attorney Lester Rosen.
How A Criminal Background Check Can Cost You The Job - September 2014 article on Forbes.com that mentions Employment Screening Resources (ESR) as one of two background screening companies to collaborate on a best practices manual.
Growing 'Ban the Box' Movement Impacts Hiring Practices - August 2014 BusinessNewsDaily.com article featuring comments by ESR CEO Lester Rosen about how Ban the Box is becoming a national trend.
ESR featured in Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) HR Magazine:
- Push to Reduce Time-to-Hire May Impede Background Check Process - February 2016 article on SHRM website.
- Know Before You Hire: 2016 Employment Screening Trends - January 2016 article on SHRM website.
- HR Weeds Out Applicants Through Public Social Searches - January 2016 article on SHRM website.
- Pre-Verified Resumes: How Useful? - January 2014 article in HRMagazine by SHRM.
- Backgrounds to the Foreground - December 2010 article in HRMagazine by SHRM.
- How Deep Can You Probe? - October 2007 article in HRMagazine by SHRM.
- The Five Finger Bonus - In depth article in the October, 2003 HRMagazine by SHRM on employee theft and embezzlement.
- Spotting Lies - Article from the October 2003 HRMagazine by SHRM on why reference checks alone will not stop a firm from hiring bad employees.
- Employers can help prevent identify theft in the workplace - From the February 2000 Issue of HR News, HR's leading Newspaper published by the Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM), containing information and quotes from Les Rosen, president of ESR.
- HR Magazine, the official publication of the Society for Human Resource Management, published a story in the March 2001 issue on outsourcing background checks. ESR is pleased to have been a contributor to the story.
- Due Diligence Myths in Background Investigations - Special from SHRM's Employment Law and Legislative Conference in Washington, D.C. in 2011.
ESR featured in NAPBS JOURNAL:
- “Social Media Background Checks Conducted by Consumer Reporting Agencies Subject to Same Fair Credit Reporting Act Rules” - By Lester Rosen, Attorney and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR) & Thomas Ahearn, ESR News Editor. From NAPBS® JOURNAL for July/August 2011 Page 15).
- “Changes in Background Screening Industry Led to Need for NAPBS Accreditation Program” - By Thomas Ahearn, ESR News Editor, Employment Screening Resources (ESR) in NAPBS® JOURNAL for November/December 2011 (Page 12).
- “Accredited Member Spotlight: Employment Screening Resources (ESR)” - Interview with Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR), who also served as chairperson of the steering committee that founded NAPBS and served as its first co-chair. NAPBS® JOURNAL for November/December 2011 (Page 15).
ESR featured in Security Management Magazine by ASIS:
- 'Preemployment Screening and Social Media' - An article by Megan Gates of Security Management that features input from Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder & CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR).
- How To Avoid a Hiring Mishap - May 2009
ESR featured in Workforce.com:
- 'Background Screening Firms Face Increased Scrutiny' - In the wake of HireRight settling EEOC allegations for $2.6 million, background screening services are under greater scrutiny. ESR CEO Les Rosen says employers should "kick the tires" and screen the screeners.
- Employers Could Unlike Outcome of Facebook Password Requests - Workforce Management article about the legality of social media background checks featuring ESR CEO Les Rosen.
- The ABC's of Background Screening - Article by Workforce.com summarizing pre-employment screening, including statements from ESR President Les Rosen.
- Big, Fast and Easily Bungled - Article from Workforce on how vvirtually overnight, the Transportation Security Administration had to hire more than 55,000 workers. Quotes form ESR President Les Rosen. Also see article on what various industry experts including ESR President Les Rosen would have done if they were in charge of hiring 55,000 workers.
- Workforce.com quotes ESR President Lester S. Rosen in article "Who are you really hiring".
- Workforce.com article "Protecting People and Profits with Background Checks".
Additional Publications featuring ESR:
- Is Using the Internet to Recruit a Violation of an Applicant’s Privacy? Part I - Article on RecruitingTrends.com by Attorney At Law Lester Rosen, ESR Founder & CEO.
- Does an Applicant on the Internet Have a “Reasonable Expectation” of Privacy? Part II - Article on RecruitingTrends.com by Attorney At Law Lester Rosen, ESR Founder & CEO.
- ‘Employee Background Checks: What's Legal, What's Not’ - ESR CEO Attorney Lester Rosen is quoted in article originally published in Business News Daily.
- 'Ex-Convict Hire Hurdle Draws U.S. Suits Against Employers' - ESR CEO Les Rosen mentioned in article EEOC and criminal records.
- 'Background Screening: Top 10 Trends' - Attorney Lester Rosen discusses 'Ban the Box' and other new wrinkles in an interview by Tom Field, Vice President, Editorial, Information Security Media Group.
- Potential Employers are Scaling Back Social Media Screening - Article on MainStreet.com referencing blog by ESR Founder & CEO Lester Rosen.
- Employment Checks Fuel Race Complaints - Article from The Wall Street Journal about updated EEOC Criminal Record Guidance quoting Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR).
- Employment Screening Resources: How to avoid hiring employee from hell - Article in Santa Cruz Sentinel featuring ESR Founder and CEO Attorney Lester Rosen.
- Managing Compliance and Due Diligence in International Hiring - Article by ESR Founder & CEO Attorney Lester Rosen in Security Magazine
- Pre-screening new employees prevents fraud in workplace - Orlando Business Journal article about ESR CEO Les Rosen's presentation at Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE) 23rd annual conference.
- How Much Can Potential Employers Ask About You? - National Public Radio (NPR) article on NPR.org that mentions Employment Screening Resources (ESR) and CEO Les Rosen.
- Facebook privacy: Can firms legally demand passwords from job applicants? - Christian Science Monitor story with quotes from ESR CEO Les Rosen.
- Employers differ on online applicant checks - Lester Rosen, founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources, quoted in a Washington Times article.
- No Background Screening? Call Yourself 'Defendant' - An employer can be sued for negligent hiring if it hires someone who it knew, or should have known, was unfit for the particular job. Lester Rosen, CEO of Employment Screening Resources, addressed this issue at the SHRM Employment Law and Legislative Conference. From HR Daily Advisor.
- California To Restrict Credit Checks In Hiring - ESR Les Rosen comments on KCBS radio about new California law (AB 22) limiting credit report checks by employers.
- 'Those Facebook posts could cost you a job' - Article on Silicon Valley MercuryNews.com containing a quote from Les Rosen, CEO of ESR.
- The Three Due Diligence Myths of Background Screening - Lester Rosen discusses three myths surrounding background checks. From HR Daily Advisor.
- 'Top Ten Trends in Employment Background Screening for 2011' by Lester Rosen published on RecruitingTrends.com
- Background Screening Credentialing Council Recognizes Accredited Companies, a press release from the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS).
- 'How to Run a Credit Check' article from Inc.com contains quotes from Jared Callahan, ESR Director of Client Relations.
- Bank Information Security Podcasts (January 2011) 'Background Checks: Beware Social Media' Podcast with Tom Field on BankInfoSecurity.com
- 'E-Verify Use Increases' - Lester Rosen, CEO of Employment Screening Resources, is quoted in a story on News-Leader.com.
- Special Report: Legal Precautions Concerning Social Media in the Hiring Process for Health Care Staffing - November 2010 Issue of Jackson & Coker Industry Report, News and Information from the Established Leader in Physician Staffing.
- "Background Checks" Article in November 2010 Issue of The Hospitalist, an Official Publication of The Society of Hospital Medicine.
- Employers: Don't Let Job Applicants Snow You - Dr. Marty Nemko, the Monster career columnist and publisher of Cool Careers for Dummies, writes about pre-employment screening and ESR.
- Job Sleuths - Article in the San Francisco Business Times concerning pre-employment background screening, February 27, 1998.
- MSNBC Article - "Bad credit sidelines some jobless workers"
- "Background Checks: Best Practices for Financial Institutions" - Interview with Les Rosen, Expert in Employment Screening, on BankInfoSecurity.com
- SFGate article - "Can you get a job with bad credit? The answer may surprise you."
- Article in Aviation Week - "The Art of Background Checks"
Carpet Firm Hit With $9.38M Verdict in Murder
Lester S. Rosen, President of ESR and an attorney at law, testified as an expert witness on safe hiring practice and due diligence in the California court on behalf of the family of a doctor murdered by a carpet cleaner that was hired without any background check. The carpet cleaner was a violent career criminal. This tragic episode demonstrates what can occur when employers just hire any available warm body with no care or effort taken to find out who they are hiring.
- Candidate Seems Unreal? Investigate - Article in San Francisco Business Times featuring Employment Screening Resources.
- ESR featured in USA Today - "When 'bad' credit stands in the way of a good job" & "Resumé fraud gets slicker and easier"
- ESR featured in the Christian Science Monitor - "The spread of the credit check as civil rights issue"
- ESR featured in Businessweek -"The Trouble with Background Checks"
- ESR featured in US News and World Report --"Should Your Credit Report Cost You a Job?"
- ESR featured in Reuters - Resume Fraud Gets Slicker and Easier
Sample of additional online articles featuring ESR:
- Risks & Rewards of Cyber Screening Job Candidates - Internet Evolution article on online background checks.
- When a Background Check Makes for Tough Interview Questions - The Ladders article on background checks.
- Anatomy of a Background Check - The Ladders article on background checks.
Visit this page again for other articles featuring ESR in numerous magazines, and publications.