Online Safe Hiring Certification Training Course
COURSE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE:
The online safe hiring certification training course is currently undergoing an update and will not be available until Spring 2014. Please check back at this same link at that time. Thank you.
The ESR Online Safe Hiring Certification Training Course is an intensive 30-hour online educational and professional development course designed for employers, human resource and security professionals, and anyone responsible for risk management and due diligence in hiring and pre-employment background screening. Through this course, participants will obtain the knowledge and skills necessary to implement and manage a legal and effective safe hiring program including employment screening background checks. Upon successful completion, participants will receive a Certificate of Completion, marking a significant professional accomplishment.
The course is approved for 20 hours of credit by the HRCI. (The additional 10 hours is allocated to utilizing the 190 page workbook, exercises and preparation for quiz questions.) In addition, each of the 4 modules is approved for 5 hours of credit. The Program ID for HRCI credit is only identified on the certificate of completion or onsite materials. Please note: The use of this seal is not an endorsement by HRCI of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met HRCI's criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.
The ESR Online Safe Hiring Certification Training Course is a self-paced, on-line course that can be accessed at any time from any where, including at work. Valuable features of this course include:
- Convenient 24/7/365 availability through any on-line connection
- 21 self-paced lessons on Safe Hiring practices
- A printable, 190-page Workbook to facilitate note-taking and preparation for review quizzes
- Review quizzes after each lesson featuring more than 300 questions about safe hiring and background screening
- Easy access to useful Safe Hiring web-links
- Sample safe hiring forms to help guide your own form development
- Industry certification in Safe Hiring
- Additional audio pointers by author Les Rosen (requires speakers but not a requirement for course completion)
- Obtain HRCI credit
Do These Issues Affect You?
- Have you ever had a problem employee?
- Do you know how to avoid hiring one?
- How do you avoid hiring someone with falsified credentials or inappropriate criminal record?
- How do you comply with the myriad of state and federal laws dealing with privacy and hiring discrimination?
* NOTE: To participate in the Safe Hiring Online course, users must have access to the Internet, some type of computer/laptop with keyboard and mouse/pad, and a printer if they want to print out worksheets for the course.
Why take This Course?
Employee problems are usually caused by problem employees. Employers have become painfully aware that hiring someone with a criminal record, falsified credentials or undesirable background can create a legal and financial nightmare.ï¿½Without exercising due diligence in hiring, it has become a statistical certainty that employers will hire employees that can lead to lawsuits for negligent hiring, workplace violence, theft, embezzlement and numerous other workplace problems.
However, employers and Human Resources and Security professionals face a host of challenges with it comes to safe hiring. First, the area is heavily regulated by federal and state laws, and there are numerous privacy and discrimination issues. Furthermore, employers are faced with a number of practical issues such as what information is available, how do you get it, and how do you utilize it and analyze it in a cost-effective manner.
Feedback from participant evaluation forms:
- I went thru the Safe Hiring Course a couple years ago (and read the book from cover to cover). I found the course to be excellent. Even after many years in the industry, I learned things. It's a good general review of all things we must know in the background screening industry. It does take time - this is not a one hour course. But then most things of value don't come quickly.
- The safe hiring course is great for hiring managers! I feel as if all managers should be required to complete this course prior to hiring new employees.
- Absolutely loved this course. It is well planned, communicated, and intended. There is significant depth of information that no JR professional should be without. This should be a required course for all clients.
- Overall the entire course was easy to understand, very informative and easy to follow. I learned a lot and I am now more confident that I could setup a safe hiring program within my company.
- I really learned a lot from this online course and will highly recommend that my co-workers take this course. i will continue to refer to the manual and continue to learn about safe hiring. This course is very comprehensive. A+!
- This course is great for professionals from within the screening industry. I have learned a lot.
- An excellent training tool for any organization. Should be a requirement in all companies and for any employees that assist with the hiring process. Very informative.
The ESR online Safe Hiring Course addresses these issues. The program:
- Is a comprehensive and up - to - date analysis of today's critical hiring issues.
- Is self-paced and on-line so it can be accessed at any time from any where, including at work.
- Provides the learner with a certification earned through mastery of the material.
- Includes valuable information on performing international background screening in an increasingly globalized market.
- Provides cost effective access to critical information that few people have and many people need.
This training can be used:
- As part of a training program for Human Resources, Security or anyone else with hiring responsibilities
- As part of an internal promotion or on the job training requirement
- To help demonstrate due diligence and minimize risks related to hiring
- To help reduce costs associated with poor hiring
- To help determine how to do cost-effective screening that also helps provide legal protection
- To help inform the learner about issues required to select a background screening company
- To help new employers and/or new business owners with issues related to hiring responsibly
UNIT 1: Basic Themes in Hiring
Lesson 1: An Introduction to Safe Hiring
Lesson 2: An Introduction to Creating Your Company's Safe Hiring Program
Lesson 3: An Orientation to the Laws about Negligent Hiring
Lesson 4: Complying with Discrimination & Privacy Laws & Identity Theft
Lesson 5: The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and State FCRA type laws
Lesson 6: How to Implement a Safe Hiring Program
UNIT 2: The AIR Process-Essential Functions before the Background Check
Lesson 1: The Application Process
Lesson 2: The Interview Process
Lesson 3: Reference Checks
Lesson 4: Checking Education & Credentials
UNIT 3: Pre-Employment Screening & Criminal Records
Lesson 1: An Introduction to Pre-Employment Screening
Lesson 2: Role & Legal Use of Criminal Records in Safe Hiring
Lesson 3: Where & How to Obtain Criminal Records
Lesson 4: Credit Reports & Credit Bureau Data
Lesson 5: Other Critical Screening Tools
UNIT 4: Mechanics of Screening
Lesson 1: Mechanics of Screening
Lesson 2: Drug Screening
Lesson 3: International Screening
Lesson 4: Terrorist Searches
Lesson 5: Theft, Fraud, & Embezzlement
UNIT 5: Post Hire Issues
Lesson 1: Post Hire Issues
Lesson 2: A Safe Hiring Audit
* NOTE: The course host unfortunately does not support the version of Internet Explorer 10 at this time. Currently, you have to use an earlier version of Internet Explorer (9 or 8) or a different browser (Chrome or Firefox) to take the course.