Webinars, Videos & Podcasts
Stay tuned to this page for more videos, podcasts, and webinars presented by Employment Screening Resources® (ESR).
Top 5 Best Practices for Social Media Background Checks - Social media and online identity analysis help to fill in the gaps of information on a job applicant's background when done in conjunction with more traditional types of background checks. However, companies that manually perform social media background checks may not be aware of the near constant evolution in employment law and open themselves up to class action exposure. The webinar "Top 5 Best Practices for Social Media Background Checks" will help employers and HR Professionals stay compliant and ahead of the curve when screening job applicants online. Hosted by Ben Mones, CEO and Founder of leading social media screening provider Fama (http://fama.io/), the webinar will show organizations how to comply with the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) that regulates background checks and avoid using inconsistent screening criteria online to unintentionally discriminate against certain groups. With technology and social media outpacing the law, join one of the pioneers in the online screening space to see how employers can give applicants the opportunity to explain any potentially adverse social media posts and activities. Attendees will stay ahead of the curve.
- Negligent Hiring and Background Checks in California - Best Practices and Legal Compliance - In this webinar sponsored by PASCO (Professional Association of Sonoma County), attendees will learn how just one bad hire can result in a legal and financial nightmare. Without taking appropriate steps, there is a near statistical certainty that an employer will hire someone with an unsuitable criminal record or a falsified background that can result in workplace violence, lawsuits for negligent hiring, and time wasted recruiting and hiring the wrong person. On the other side of the screening fence, are the rising tides of lawsuits against employers alleging screening methods violate the law or are at odds with changes in civil rights legislation. California employers, in particular, need to be concerned about legal compliance since there are a host of "Only in California" laws in addition to numerous federal requirements. The hiring landscape is more complex than ever. Attendees will learn legally compliant best practices to keep their businesses productive and out of court. Explore how to obtain and utilize criminal records and background information on job applicants as well as past employment and education credentials. Get updated on recent legal developments and hear case studies that demonstrate what steps employers should take and mistakes to avoid. Learn about cutting edge issues such as the use of social media background checks, new HR technology, "Ban the Box" laws that help applicants with criminal records have a fair chance at employment, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) approach to the use of criminal records and credit reports, and how to avoid class action lawsuits under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The webinar presenter is noted background check expert Attorney Lester Rosen, author of “The Safe Hiring Manual” and founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR), a global background screening company headquartered in Northern California.
- ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends for 2017 - Each year, Employment Screening Resources (ESR) Founder and CEO Attorney Lester Rosen selects the annual ‘ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends’ that feature emerging and influential trends in the screening industry. This year, he will announce the selection of the 10th annual ‘ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends of 2017’ in January 2017. This webinar will reveal the background check trends Rosen has selected that will substantially impact the future of the screening industry and employers who perform background checks.
- Pre-Employment Background Checks in California: Dangers and Landmines Facing Private Investigators - To avoid bad hiring decisions, employers have turned to pre-employment background checks as a risk management tool. However, background checks are increasingly subject to litigation, legislation, and regulation. In addition, California has its own set of detailed requirements, and any failure to dot just one "i" or cross one "t" can expose a Private Investigator to $10,000 civil liability per background check even if no one was actually harmed. More importantly, there is no exception to federal and state laws for Private Investigators, who are subject to all the same laws and regulations as any other Consumer Reporting Agency. This webinar will cover a number of topics that include the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), numerous "only in California" rules, the dramatic increase in class action lawsuits, discrimination and privacy laws, the use of credit reports and social media, "Ban the Box," and the 2012 Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) guidance on criminal records that has the potential to change the way employers hire. This essential webinar for any PI currently providing or interested in providing pre-employment screening services is sponsored by the California Association of Licensed Investigators (CALI). For more information, please visit the CALI website at http://www.cali-pi.org/.
- Common Ways Consumer Reporting Agencies are Sued Under the FCRA - Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR) and author of "The Safe Hiring Manual," presents the complimentary webinar "Common Ways Consumer Reporting Agencies are Sued Under the FCRA." There are numerous reasons why prospective employees may seek to sue Consumer Reporting Agencies (“CRAs”) for alleged violations of the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the federal law that controls background screening. This webinar will describe eighteen practices that can give rise to lawsuits against CRAs. Keeping these potential pitfalls in mind is vital when choosing a CRA to help you navigate this complex and legally-sensitive area.
- ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends for 2015 - Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR) and author of "The Safe Hiring Manual," presents the complimentary webinar "ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends for 2015" featuring emerging and influential trends in the background screening industry selected by Rosen himself.
- Ban the Box - What Employers Need to Know - Attorney Lester Rosen, founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR) and author of "The Safe Hiring Manual," presents a complimentary webinar showing how Ban the Box laws that remove criminal history questions from job applications are fast becoming a national standard that will affect most employers.
- Screening Applicants Using Social Networking Sites: Legal or Liability? - Employers and recruiters aren’t only using search engines to find information on applicants but are now examining social networking sites, such as Facebook®, LinkedIn® or Twitter® as well as blogs and other online sources. Utilizing social media to learn about potential employees can be an effective tool – make sure it doesn’t become a legal risk.
- Safe Hiring: How You Can Avoid Bad Hires (May 2017) - Hiring mistakes are every manager's nightmare. This video from Kantola Productions provides you with specific methods for screening out criminal or dishonest job candidates, including five powerful interview questions. ESR CEO Attorney Les Rosen explains techniques and background checks that are easy to implement, and of which won't cost you a cent. Supporting materials include a 31-page Study Guide booklet reinforces the scenes, terms, and concepts covered in the video, and provides with managers with helpful tips and checklists. Digital version included with purchase (preview).
One of Our Officers Lied on His Application. Do I Have to Fire Him? - An HR manager says that one of the company's officers was outed by a blogger for lying on his application. He's great at his job but policy clearly states that lying on the application – which is what he did – is grounds for termination. What should the company do, and what does it mean for other employees if they do nothing? Find out in this week's Kantola Learning Minute with Lester S. Rosen, J.D., founder of Employment Screening Resources®.
- Why Employers Should Only Hire an NAPBS Accredited Screening Firm (December 17, 2015) - Screening industry experts ESR Founder and CEO Attorney Lester Rosen and EBI Chief Knowledge Officer Bob Capwell discuss why employers should only hire an National Association of Background Screeners (NAPBS) accredited firm to be their background screening partner. Both are former Co-Chairs of NAPBS. Part 3 of 3.
- The Importance of the Human Element in Screening (December 2, 2015) - Screening industry experts ESR Founder and CEO Attorney Lester Rosen and EBI Chief Knowledge Officer Bob Capwell discuss the importance of protecting your business by adding a human element to your screening program. In this video, they discuss the importance of having a human element in your screening program and how depending on people rather than technology pretects you, the employer. Part 2 of 3.
- Don't Sacrifice Compliance for Technology in Your Background Screening (November 20, 2015) - Screening industry experts ESR Founder and CEO Attorney Lester Rosen and EBI Chief Knowledge Officer Bob Capwell discuss the importance of focusing on compliance when using technology in the background screening process. In this video, they talk about why mid-sized screening companies are more agile and make better use of technology than huge providers. They also discuss why choosing the cheapest screening options will cost you in the long run. Part 1 of 3.
- 'Background Screening: Top 10 Trends' - Attorney Lester Rosen discusses 'Ban the Box' and other new wrinkles in an interview by Tom Field, Vice President, Editorial, Information Security Media Group.
- The Safe Hiring Mock Trial DVD - Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) offers tips for screening out problem candidates and performing legal background checks in 'The Trial: Negligent Hiring in the Workplace" DVD narrated by ESR Founder and CEO Attorney Lester Rosen. Lawsuits for negligent hiring are among the fastest growing area of personal injury litigation today. Multi-million dollar verdicts can occur when an employer fails to exercise due diligence by hiring someone with a criminal record or false credentials. In this session, audience members will act as jurors in a negligent hiring mock trial demonstration, featuring opening statements, cross-examination of an HR professional, closing arguments, jury instructions and a jury verdict—an educational episode of “Law and Order” for Employers and Human Resources and Security professionals.
- Trailer for The Safe Hiring Mock Trial available on YouTube.
- The Safe Hiring Training Video - A 23 minute professional training video or DVD titled 'Safe Hiring: How You Can Avoid Bad Hires' narrated by safe hiring expert Lester Rosen. This video/DVD follows the fictional story of a company that makes a bad hire and discover the steps they decide to put in place to ensure it doesn't happen again. As the story unfolds, Rosen explains the details of an effective safe hiring process and sheds light on the legal background that you need to know.
- XpertHR Podcast: From Brokaw to Background Checks - ESR Founder & CEO Lester Rosen speaks with XpertHR about mistakes and misconceptions surrounding background checks following his presentation about the top 10 trends for background checks in 2012 at the SHRM annual conference.
- The Top Ten Trends in Screening for 2010 - Podcast by Bank info Secuirty featuring safe hiring expert Attorney Lester Rosen.