ESR obtains driving record information directly from each state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and provides driving history subject to the reporting laws of each individual state. Information in the report includes the class of the license, citation history, accident history, suspension information, license restrictions and current status of the driver’s license. All fifty states are available and most records requests are completely in a paperless process. Driving history is for at least three years depending upon the state, verification of driving privilege, and driving record.
These states require specialized procedures for obtaining DMV record information:
- Pennsylvania: Employer must be pre-approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles. Requires a state-specific form with sections completed by both employer and applicant.
- New Hampshire: Requires a notarized, state-specific form.
- Alaska: Requires a state-specific form.
- Canada and Puerto Rico also require special forms. Detailed information is available about those regions if needed in the screening program.
- International driving records are available from certain countries. Because of changing laws and availability of foreign driving records, these are taken on an as needed basis to assure that current required processes are properly undertaken.
DMV and PRIA
Reason You Need This Information
A driver's license search gives insight into applicant's level of responsibility; determines whether an applicant keeps commitments to appear in court or pay fines; has a drug/alcohol problem; and gives the current license status. "Driving for work" is very broadly defined in most jurisdictions and is not limited to driving positions.
Limitations/Notes on Using this Information
This information can be accessed by an outside agency on an employer's behalf. The alternative is having applicants personally go to the DMV to obtain their own records which is not practical and is subject to fraud. Some state DMV's also have a drivers "pull" program for firms that would like updates. Some states require special forms and return of data. Personal data about an applicant is not provided.
For more information, or to order this service, contact Employment Screening Resources (ESR) at Contact Us
Pre-Employment Drivers License Search Northern California, Novato, San Francisco, San Jose. California Driving Record Reports. Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) is a nationwide Employment Driver’s License Search & Background Screening Company.