Employment Screening Resources (ESR) provides background screening services specializing in schools, colleges, and universities. ESR helps verify the certification, training, and educational claims such as dates of attendance and graduation, degrees or certifications obtained, and majors studied of a job applicant. ESR protects against false educational claims, degree mills, and diploma mills.
Along with standard ESR background screening services, solutions include:
- Helping Colleges and Universities Hire Safe Employees and Faculty Members
- Diploma Mills and Degree Mills Checks
- Student Background Checks
Additional information and resources may be found at:
- Education & License Verifications
- The Basics of Education Verification
- Database of Institutions and Programs Accredited by Recognized U.S. Accrediting Organizations
- Top Ten Mistaken Assumptions Made by Higher Education When It Comes to Background Checks
- List of Unaccredited Institutions of Higher Education (From Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia)
To determine if a school is legitimate and accredited, first search the two websites below:
- U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs
- Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) Database of Institutions and Programs Accredited by Recognized U.S. Accrediting Organizations
If a school does not appear in the above sites, search for known diploma mills using the following lists:
- Oregon Office of Degree Authorization (ODA) - Unaccredited Colleges
- Hawaii.gov - Unaccredited Degree Granting Institutions (UDGI)
- Maine Department of Education - Non-Accredited Colleges & Degree Mills
- Texas: Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board - Institutions Whose Degrees are Illegal to Use in Texas
- Michigan Civil Service Commission - Non-Accredited Colleges and Universities Information
Employers should keep in mind that there is no comprehensive, up-to-date list of degree mills. Fake schools can be set up overnight and fake schools are now setting up fake accreditation agencies. If an employer cannot locate the schools on any site, it does not necessarily mean the school is a diploma mill since there are legitimate distance learning schools, vocational schools, and theological school that can grant degrees. An experienced background screening firm will always take steps to determine if a school is authentic.
To learn more, Contact ESR.