Negligent Hiring and Background Checks - Best Practices and Legal Compliance
SHRM Talent Management Conference & Exposition - Washington, DC
April 29, 2012
Event: SHRM Talent Management Conference & Exposition - Washington, DC
Title: Negligent Hiring and Background Checks - Best Practices and Legal Compliance
Date/Time: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Speaker: Attorney Les Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR)
Recertification Hours: 4 General Credits
Workplace Application: Employee problems are caused by problem employees, and this session will help HR professionals avoid bad hires in the first place.
Negligent hiring is one of the fastest growing areas of employment litigation. Learn legally complaint best practices to keep a business productive and out of court, including how to obtain and utilize criminal record and background information on job applicants. Get updated on recent legal developments, and review case studies to demonstrate what steps employers should take and mistakes to avoid. Hear about cutting edge issues, such as the use of social networking sites, new technology and the EEOC approach to the use of criminal records and credit reports. Learn steps a firm can take immediately to avoid a bad hire by the effective use of the application, interview and past employment checking processes.
- Learn why background checks and due diligence have become mission critical for employers
- Understand the basics of a negligent hiring lawsuit and defenses that work and do not work
- Get acquainted with cutting edge issues such as the new EEOC focus on criminal records and credit reports and the use of social network sites
- Learn how to spent fraudulent employment and education credentials
- Get updated on the latest best practices and new technologies
- Learn steps your organization can take today to implement a legally compliant program and to hire the best employees.
Lester S. Rosen is an Attorney at Law and founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – http://www.ESRcheck.com – a nationwide background screening company located in California and accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS). he is the author of “The Safe Hiring Manual,” the first comprehensive guide on employment screening, and has also written “The Safe Hiring Audit.” He is also a frequent presenter nationwide on employment screening and his speaking appearances have included numerous national and statewide conferences. See: http://www.esrcheck.com/ESR_Speaks.php. Mr. Rosen was also the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the NAPBS, a professional trade organization for the background screening industry, and served as the first co-chairman in 2004.