HR Screening Tools to Prevent Identity Theft
Thompson Media Interactive Webinar
June 26, 2013
Event: Thompson Media Interactive Webinar
Subject: HR Screening Tools to Prevent Identity Theft
Date/TIme: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 1:00 p.m. EST
Speaker: Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder & CEO Employment Screening Resources (ESR)
Pre-employment background screening has become mission critical for employers of all sizes. Just one bad hire can create a legal and financial nightmare. Hiring someone that is unfit, dishonest, unqualified or has presented fraudulent credentials or identification can result in lawsuits, turnover, theft, workplace violence, governmental sanctions and numerous other distraction from the business of running your business. Studies also show that if a person was dishonest in the way they got a job, they are likely to be dishonest once in the job.
Because of the internet, the newest threats revolve around applicants committing fraud, by presenting false credentials or a false identity. At a very low cost, for example, an unscrupulous applicant can fabricate their job history, or present impressive but worthless educational credentials.
In this webinar, learn what employers and Human Resources professionals can do before, during and after the hiring decision has been made to ensure an applicant is rally who they say they are. The session will explore the risks presented and the latest tools, tips and techniques that can be used to combat fraud.
Attendees will learn:
- How dishonest applicants can create a completely fabricated employment history complete with a fictitious employer and references that appear absolutely legitimate
- How to detect and guard against fake educational credentials.
- How dishonest applicants try to commit identity theft and create false identities.
- How to guard against the fraudulent use of social media, and other fake claims.
- Tools available to employers before hiring such as a Social Security Trace (SSN), the Consent Based Social Security Verification (CBSV), or Income Tax return verification (ITRV),
- The role of post hire tools such as I-9, E-Verify or the Social Security Number Verification System (SSNVS)
Attorney Lester S. Rosen is Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR) and the author of “The Safe Hiring Manual,” the first comprehensive guide to background checks. He is a nationally recognized safe hiring expert who was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) and served as the first co-chairman. He is a frequent presenter nationwide and his speaking appearances have included numerous national and statewide conferences for “ESR Speaks”.