EEOC Criminal Records Update
February 25, 2016
Event: Aurora Training Advantage Webinar
Title: EEOC Criminal Records Update
Date: February 25th, 2016
Time: 2:00 pm EST (11:00 am PST)
Speaker: Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder & CEO Employment Screening Resources (ESR)Aurora Training Advantage Webinar
The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the agency that enforces federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination, approved on April 25, 2012 an updated ‘Enforcement Guidance on the Consideration of Arrest and Conviction Records in Employment Decisions Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.’ This Guidance may well have a profound impact on how employers in America hire. In this webinar, Attorney and safe hiring expert Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR), will present a webinar that will go beyond simply repeating EEOC Guidance language and give “real world’ examples and suggestions on what employers should do now to remain in compliance while performing criminal background checks. There are steps and tools employers can implement immediately at no cost to demonstrate good faith compliance. Attendees of this webinar will have a road map for action items they can implement immediately to demonstrate legal compliance.
- Longstanding court decisions and existing EEOC Guidance documents.
- Employment discrimination based on race and national origin, criminal records, and employer practices.
- The differences between arrest and conviction records.
- Disparate treatment and disparate impact analysis under Title VII.
- Employer defenses the EEOC believes meet the “job related and consistent with business necessity” standard.
- Compliance with other federal laws and/or regulations that conflict with Title VI.
- State and local laws or regulations preempted by Title VII.
- EEOC Guidance best practices for employers.
- Option for handling questions about post criminal records.
- Criticisms of the new EEOC Guidance.
- The Good, the Maybe and the Challenging stemming from the new EEOC Guidance.
- What should employers do now?
Lester S. Rosen is an attorney at law and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR), a national background screening company located in California. ESR is an accredited background firm under the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) accreditation program. He is the author of “The Safe Hiring Manual– The Complete Guide to Employment Screening Background Checks for Employers, Recruiters, and Jobseekers (728 pages-Facts on Demand Press/2d Edition September 2012), the first comprehensive book on employment screening. He has also written “The Safe Hiring Audit,” published in 2008. He is also a consultant, writer and frequent presenter nationwide on pre-employment screening and safe hiring issues. He has qualified and testified in the California, Florida and Arkansas Superior Courts as an expert witness on issues surrounding safe hiring and due diligence. His speaking appearances have included numerous national and statewide conferences. Rosen was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) a professional trade organization for the screening industry and served as the first co-chairman in 2004.