ESR has recently been quoted ESR in the February, 2007 issue of HR Magazine published by SHRM in an article entitled, â€œGround Rules on Background Checks.â€
ESR president Lester S Rosen is quoted on the formation for the trade association for the screening industry, The National Association of Professional Background Screeners, or NAPBS.
According to the article:
Indeed, 85 percent of HR professionals surveyed reported that their organizations conduct–or hire outside agencies to conduct–background investigations on potential employees, according to separate 2006 and 2004 polls addressing background-checking practices among members of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). That’s up from 51 percent who said they did so in 1996. “A perfect storm of events grew the industry, and it grew largely without regulation, standardization, organization or coordination,” says Lester Rosen, an attorney and founder of Employment Screening Resources Inc., a pre-employment background-screening company in Novato, Calif. He chaired the steering committee that founded NAPBS. “It truly was the ‘Wild West’ in a lot of ways,” he says.
Taming that territory was a tall order, admits Rosen, author of The Safe Hiring Manual: The Complete Guide to Keeping Criminals, Terrorists and Imposters Out of Your Workplace (Facts on Demand Press, 2007).
The online version provides a link to an ESR site with a suggested RFP (Request for Proposal) form. See: http://www.esrcheck.com/backgroundscreeningrfp.php
ESR 2008 Schedule
February 28, 2007 Silicon Valley, CA Using the Internet and Social Networking Sites to Find and Screen Applicants” Santa Clara County Employer Advisory Group, Biltmore hotel, Santa Clara, CA
March 6, 2008 Kennedy Information National Audio Conference–“Background Checks and Recruiting — Avoiding Negligent Hiring.” Details to follow
March 26, 2008 Los Angeles, CA “Pre-employment Screening: Best Practices and Legal Compliance” HR STAR Conference
April 3, 2008 San Francisco, CA “Pre-Employment Screening and Background Checks” San Francisco Employer Advisory Council (EAC)
May 15, 2007 Las Vegas, NV Using the Internet and Social Networking Sites to Find and Screen Applicants” Kennedy Information’s Recruiting 2008 Conference and Expo, Las Vegas Hilton
June 5, 2008 Cooperstown, NY “Cutting Edge Issues and Best Practices in Background Checks and Employment Screening for Hospitals and Healthcare Organizations” Symposium sponsored by the Health Association of New York State (HANYS)
June 12, 2008 Santa Cruz, CA “Pre-employment Screening: Best Practices and Legal Compliance,” Santa Cruz EAC (Aptos Golf Course)
June 23/25, 2008 Chicago, Il “Negligent Hiring Mock Trial” and “Caution! Using the Internet and Social Networking Sites to Screen Applicants”. SHRM 60th Annual National Conference and Exposition.
July 14, 2007 Boston, MA “Preventing Employee Fraud at the Point of Entry: Legal and Effective Pre-employment Screening” National Conference for the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
July 16, 2008 San Francisco, CA “Pre-employment Screening: Best Practices and Legal Compliance” HR STAR Conference
July 18, 2008 Stockton, CA “Pre-Employment Screening and Background Checks” Stockton Employer Advisory Council (EAC), Stockton, CA
August 28/29 2008 New Delhi, India “International Background Screening: Best Practices in the US and in India and the Pacific Rim.“ The Second Annual International Pre-employment Screening Conference, The Taj Mahal Hotel, New Delhi, India
Contact ESR for further details. The ESR 2008 Speaking schedule will be available shortly.
ESR is pleased to announce new services that are available to U.S. employers:
- In-depth Searches and Litigation Support ESR has introduced a new service, an â€œIntegrity Check,â€ for businesses that need in-depth research on partners, key executives, prospective members of a Board of Directors, and other highly sensitive positions, It is also ideal for law firms for litigation preparation. See: http://www.esrcheck.com/IntegrityCheck.php
- Vendor Checks ESR has introduced a new program to allow businesses to check their vendors. Businesses who would never allow an employee onsite without due diligence, can now ensure that the same due diligence is applied to vendors, independent contracts or temporary employees. For more information, contact Jared Callahan at jcallahan@ESRcheck.com or at 415-898-0044, ext. 240.
ESR announces that the Safe Hiring Certification Training is now available in four separate mini-courses, in addition to the intensive 30 Hour course. The smaller course allows participants to focus in on just those areas of immediate interest and need. This is the first and only online educational and professional development course designed for employers, human resources and security professionals, and anyone responsible for risk management and due diligence in hiring.
The Safe Hiring Certification Training is a self-paced, on-line course that can be accessed at any time from anywhere, including at work.
Features of this course include:
- Convenient 24/7/365 availability through any online connection
- 21 self-paced lessons on Safe Hiring practices
- A printable, 190-page workbook to facilitate note-taking and preparation for review quizzes
- Review quizzes after each lesson featuring more than 300 questions about safe hiring
- Easy access to useful Safe Hiring web-links
- Sample safe hiring forms to help guide your own form development
- Industry certification in Safe Hiring
- Additional audio pointers by author Les Rosen (requires speakers but not a requirement for course completion)
Through this course, participants will obtain the knowledge and skills necessary to implement and manage a legal and effective safe hiring program, including employment screening background checks. Upon successful completion, participants will receive a Certificate of Completion, marking a significant professional accomplishment. The $395 course is offered at no charge to ESR clients.
The course is available at http://esr.coursehost.com
More information is available at: http://www.esrcheck.com/ESRonlineSafeHiringCourse.php
- ESR wrote the book on background checks! â€“ The Safe Hiring Manual, now in its third printing, is available from BRB Publications. Click here to read more. The definitive book on pre-employment screening, â€œThe Safe Hiring Manual-The Complete Guide to Keeping Criminals, Terrorists and Imposters out of Your Workplace,â€ has undergone its third printing since its introduction a year ago. The new printing also contains updates and new material.
Employment Screening Resources (ESR) Rated Top Background Screening Firm in First Independent Industry Study. See the Press Release
Please feel free to contact Jared Callahan at ESR at 415-898-0044 or email@example.com if you have any questions or comments about the matters in this newsletter. Please note that ESR’s statements about any legal matters are not given or intended as legal advice.
Employment Screening Resources (ESR)
7110 Redwood Blvd., Suite C
Novato, CA 94945