Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – a nationwide background check provider to employers accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®) – has released its ‘Fourth Annual Top Ten Trends in Background Screening for 2011’ as predicted by ESR founder, President, and safe hiring expert Lester Rosen.
“For the fourth consecutive year, Employment Screening Resources has identified new trends that are starting to make a difference as the employment background screening industry matures,” explains Rosen, an Attorney at Law and author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual,’ the first comprehensive guide for employment background checks. “For the second year in a row, the number one trend on the list is the increased focus on whether the use of credit reports by employers during employment screening is discriminatory.”
An article detailing each individual trend was published on the Employment Screening Resources website in ascending order beginning in December 2010. Below is a complete listing of the ESR ‘Fourth Annual Top Ten Trends in Background Screening for 2011’:
- Trend #1: Controversy over Whether Employers Using Credit Reports for Employment Screening is Discriminatory Increases
- Trend #2: Questions about Criminal Records of Job Applicants Become More Difficult for Employers to Ask
- Trend #3: Employers Discover Fast and Cheap Online Background Checks Using Criminal Databases Not Always Accurate or Legal
- Trend #4: Background Checks of Temporary Workers Cause for Concern for Employers as Hiring Increases
- Trend #5: International Background Screening More Necessary Due to Mobility of Workers in Global Economy
- Trend #6: Using Social Network Sites Such as Facebook to Screen Job Candidates Increases Legal Risk for Employers
- Trend #7: More Workplace Violence Prevention Education Helps Protect Employers and Employees
- Trend #8: Increased Privacy Concerns Over Offshoring of Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Trend #9: E-Verify and I-9 Audits Help Government Find Employers with Illegal Workers
- Trend #10: New Accreditation Standards Help Employers Select Background Screening Firms
Rosen, a frequent speaker on safe hiring issues, selected each trend after closely reviewing background screening news and developments from various sources, a practice that helped him predict future background screening industry trends in the past.
For a related article, visit: http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/2011/01/13/controversial-and-discriminatory-use-of-job-applicant-credit-reports-by-employers-tops-background-screening-trends-list-for-2011/.
For more information on background screening or to purchase background checks, visit Employment Screening Resources (ESR) at http://www.ESRcheck.com.
Founded in 1996 in the San Francisco area, Employment Screening Resources (ESR) wrote the book on background checks with ‘The Safe Hiring Manual’ by ESR founder and President Lester Rosen and is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®) . To learn more about Employment Screening Resources, visit http://www.ESRcheck.com or contact Jared Callahan, ESR Director of Client Relations, at 415.898.0044 or jcallahan@ESRcheck.com.