Hiring safe employees is not as simple as some employers may think, and the topic of “safe hiring” will be discussed by two guests on this week’s episode of the Internet talk radio program ‘The Proactive Employer.’ Attorney Les Rosen, Founder and CEO of background check firm Employment Screening Resources (ESR), and Joel Passen, Co-Founder of Newton Smart Applicant Tracking Software, will join host Stephanie R. Thomas, Ph.D. to talk about the elements of a safe hiring plan, common questions and concerns employers have about hiring, and how to implement a Safe Hiring Program (SHP). The hour long show will air live on Thursday, May 17th at 3 PM Eastern / 12 PM Pacific on the VoiceAmerica™ Business Channel and on The Proactive Employer website.
In the first segment, Rosen, author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual,’ the first comprehensive guide to employment screening, will discuss the following topics with Thomas:
- “Warm Body Philosophy” and why it’s dangerous.
- Safe hiring policies and procedures overview.
- Legal Compliance practices – applicant screening “hotspots.”
- New Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) guidance on use of criminal histories.
In the second segment, Passen, who leads Sales and Marketing for Newton Software, will discuss the following topics with Thomas:
- Four things employers need to do to stay Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) compliant, including EEO identification, reasons why candidate not hired, continuously analyze this info in real time, compliance reporting.
- Good Applicant Tracking Software (ATS) is one of the cornerstones of safe hiring. Why use formal ATS and not Excel, handwritten notes, etc., and how can it help safe hiring?
- Aside from EEO information, integrated background screening – what’s the operational advantage of having everything in one place?
In the last half hour of the program, Rosen and Passen will answer questions and then offer some free evaluation tools and tips on several topics, including:
- Application/consent forms.
- Verification of Past Employment.
- Criminal background checks.
- Offer Letters.
- How ATS maintains collected information comprehensively and consistently.
- How ATS can equal and insurance policy for hiring.
Options for Listening to this week’s installment of ‘The Proactive Employer’ program include:
- Listen live or on-demand at VoiceAmerica Business at: http://www.voiceamerica.com/show/2091/the-proactive-employer.
- Listen live or on-demand at The Proactive Employer website at: http://www.theproactiveemployer.com/.
Listeners to the program may ask the guests questions using the following methods:
- Call the Listener Line: 1-866-472-5790.
- Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tweet questions with hashtag #TPE.
The show will be available for on-demand listening at The Proactive Employer website, on the VoiceAmerica Business Channel, and via iTunes following the broadcast.
The Proactive Employer is a source for the latest news and commentary on workplace issues, HR best practices, employment litigation risk management, and EEO compliance. The host, Stephanie R. Thomas, Ph.D., is a leading expert on the quantitative analysis of workplace practices, the author of the book ‘Statistical Analysis of Adverse Impact: A Practitioner’s Guide,’ and Founder and CEO of Thomas Econometrics Inc. For more information, visit: http://www.theproactiveemployer.com/ and http://www.thomasecon.com/.
Joel Passen is Co-Founder and Head of Sales and Marketing for Newton: Smart Applicant Tracking Software. For more information about Newton Software, visit: http://www.newtonsoftware.com/.
Attorney Les Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR), is a frequent speaker nationwide on employment screening as part of the ‘ESR Speaks’ program. He was also the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a professional trade organization for the background screening industry, and served as first co-chairman.
For more information about background checks, visit Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority’ and nationwide background screening firm accredited by the NAPBS – at http://www.esrcheck.com/ or call ESR at 415.898.0044 or Toll Free at 888-999-4474.
About Employment Screening Resources (ESR):
Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – ‘The Background Check AuthoritySM’– provides accurate and actionable information, empowering employers to make informed safe hiring decisions for the benefit for our clients, their employees, and the public. ESR literally wrote the book on background screening with “The Safe Hiring Manual” by Founder and CEO Lester Rosen. ESR is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a distinction held by a small percentage of screening firms. By choosing an accredited screening firm like ESR, employers know they have selected an agency that meets the highest industry standards. For more information about Employment Screening Resources (ESR), visit http://www.esrcheck.com/ or call 415.898.0044 or 888.999.4474.
About ESR News:
The Employment Screening Resources (ESR) News blog – ESR News – provides employment screening information for employers, recruiters, and jobseekers on a variety of topics including credit reports, criminal records, data privacy, discrimination, E-Verify, jobs reports, legal updates, negligent hiring, workplace violence, and use of search engines and social network sites for background checks. For more information about ESR News or to send comments or questions, please email ESR News Editor Thomas Ahearn at email@example.com.