Total nonfarm payroll employment in the United States rose by 163,000 jobs in July 2012 while the unemployment rate and the number of unemployed persons rose slightly to 8.3 percent and 12.8 million respectively, according to ‘THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION — JULY 2012’ report released by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The Employment Situation for July 2012 will be available at http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf until the Employment Situation for August 2012 is released on Friday, September 7, 2012.
The July 2012 Employment Situation Report also revised the change in total nonfarm employment for May 2012 from 77,000 jobs added up to 87,000 jobs added and the change for June 2012 was revised from 80,000 jobs added down to 64,000 jobs added. Among specific industries, the report found employment rose in professional and business services, food services and drinking places, and manufacturing in July 2012:
- Professional and business services employment increased by 49,000 jobs in July 2012, with computer systems design adding 7,000 jobs and employment in temporary help services adding 14,000 jobs.
- Leisure and hospitality employment in food services and drinking places rose by 29,000 jobs in July 2012 and by 292,000 jobs over the past 12 months.
- Manufacturing employment added 25,000 jobs in July 2012, with nearly all of the increase in durable goods manufacturing.
- Health care employment continued to trend up in July 2012 with 12,000 jobs added, including gains of 4,000 jobs in outpatient care centers and 5,000 jobs in hospitals.
- Employment in other major industries, including mining and logging, construction, retail trade, transportation and warehousing, financial activities, and government, showed little or no change in July 2012.
- Utilities employment declined in July 2012 with a decrease of 8,000 jobs, reflecting 8,500 utility workers who were off payrolls due to a labor-management dispute.
In other job related news, the July 2012 ADP National Employment Report® from Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (ADP®) found employment in the U.S. nonfarm private business sector also increased by 163,000 jobs from June 2012 to July 2012, while the estimated gain from May 2012 to June 2012 was revised down slightly from 176,000 jobs to 172,000 jobs. The ADP report is available at: http://www.adpemploymentreport.com/pdf/FINAL_Report_July_12.pdf.
Other highlights from the July 2012 ADP National Employment Report include:
- Small businesses representing payrolls with 1 to 49 employees added 73,000 jobs from June 2012 to July 2012.
- Medium businesses representing payrolls with 50 to 499 employees added 67,000 jobs from June 2012 to July 2012.
- Large businesses representing payrolls with more than 499 employees added 23,000 jobs from June 2012 to July 2012.
For more information about pre-employment background checks for job applicants, visit Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority’ and nationwide background screening company accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®) – at http://www.ESRcheck.com/, call ESR at 415.898.0044, or email email@example.com.
About Employment Screening Resources (ESR):
Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – ‘The Background Check AuthoritySM’– provides accurate and actionable information, empowering employers to make informed safe hiring decisions for the benefit for our clients, their employees, and the public. ESR literally wrote the book on background screening with “The Safe Hiring Manual” by Founder and CEO Lester Rosen. ESR is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a distinction held by a small percentage of screening firms. By choosing an accredited screening firm like ESR, employers know they have selected an agency that meets the highest industry standards. For more information about Employment Screening Resources (ESR), visit http://www.esrcheck.com/, call 415.898.0044 or 888.999.4474 (Toll Free), or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About ESR News:
The Employment Screening Resources (ESR) News blog – ESR News – provides employment screening information for employers, recruiters, and jobseekers on a variety of topics including credit reports, criminal records, data privacy, discrimination, E-Verify, jobs reports, legal updates, negligent hiring, workplace violence, and use of search engines and social network sites for background checks. For more information about ESR News or to send comments or questions, please email ESR News Editor Thomas Ahearn at email@example.com.