Attorney and safe hiring expert Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR), will discuss the ‘ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends for 2013’ in a presentation at the Los Angeles HR Star Conference on Wednesday, March 20, 2013. The LA HR Star Conference will take place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Pacific Time. For more information about the LA HR Star Conference, visit http://www.hrstarconference.com/la/.
Among top screening trends for 2013 are the movement toward greater accuracy in background checks, the focus on updated U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Enforcement Guidance on how employers should use criminal background checks, and a new sentiment to “ban the box” that asks applicants to check a box on employment applications if they have past criminal convictions. The list of top trends is available at http://www.esrcheck.com/Top-Ten-Background-Check-Trends-for-2013.php.
Rosen has selected the following ten background check trends to track in the coming year:
- # 1 – Background Screening Industry Faces Greater Scrutiny after Accuracy of Criminal Background Checks Questioned.
- # 2 – EEOC Updates Guidance on Criminal Records to Prevent Employment Discrimination during Background Checks.
- # 3 – Ban the Box Movement Removing Question about Criminal Records from Job Applications Spreads Across United States.
- # 4 – New Privacy Laws for Collection and Use of Personal Data of Consumers Focus on Background Checks.
- # 5 – Offshoring Personal Data of Americans to Foreign Countries for Background Checks Opposed by Many US Screening Firms.
- # 6 – Class Action Lawsuits for Violations of Fair Credit Reporting Act Becoming More Common for Consumer Reporting Agencies.
- # 7 – New E-Verify State Laws for 2013 Will Add to Already Confusing Patchwork of Regulations for Employers.
- # 8 – Use of National Criminal Databases No Substitution for County Courthouse Searches during Real Background Checks.
- # 9 – Government Increases Action Against Consumer Reporting Agencies Using Background Checks in Violation of FCRA.
- # 10 – Background Checks Becoming Integrated with ATS and HRIS to Create One Stop Shop for Screening and Hiring.
Rosen has compiled ‘Top Ten Background Check Trends’ since 2008 after reviewing developments that include evolving hiring practices and demographics, legal cases concerning background checks, advancements in screening technology, new government regulations for screening at the federal and state level, and questions and concerns regarding background checks. For previous lists of ‘Top Ten Background Check Trends,’ visit http://www.esrcheck.com/ESR-Top-Ten-Background-Check-Trends.php.
Rosen is the author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual,’ a comprehensive guide to background screening updated for a 2nd edition published in October 2012. Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority’ – is a nationwide background screening provider accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®). For more information, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/, call Toll Free 888.999.4474, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about the book is available at http://www.esrcheck.com/SafeHiringManual.php.
About Employment Screening Resources (ESR):
Founded by safe hiring expert Attorney Les Rosen in 1997, Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – ‘The Background Check AuthoritySM’– provides accurate and actionable information that empowers employers to make informed hiring decisions for the benefit of their organizations, employees, and the public. CEO Rosen literally wrote the book on background checks with “The Safe Hiring Manual” and ESR is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a distinction held by a small percent of screening firms. Employers choosing ESR know they have selected an agency meeting the highest industry standards. To learn more about ESR, visit http://www.esrcheck.com or call toll free 888.999.4474.
About ESR News:
The Employment Screening Resources (ESR) News blog – ESR News – provides employment screening information for employers, recruiters, and jobseekers on a variety of topics including credit reports, criminal records, data privacy, discrimination, E-Verify, jobs reports, legal updates, negligent hiring, workplace violence, and use of search engines and social network sites for background checks. For more information about ESR News or to send comments or questions, please email ESR News Editor Thomas Ahearn at email@example.com. To subscribe to the ESR News Blog Feed, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/feed/. To subscribe to the complimentary ESRcheck Report monthly newsletter, please visit http://www.esrcheck.com/Newsletter/.