Total nonfarm payroll employment in the United States increased by 236,000 jobs in February 2013 while the unemployment rate dropped to 7.7 percent – the lowest level since December 2008 – and the number of unemployed persons dipped to 12 million, according to ‘THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION — FEBRUARY 2013’ released today by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The report also revised the change in nonfarm employment for December 2012 from 196,000 jobs added up to 219,000 jobs added and the change for January 2013 was revised from 157,000 jobs added down to 119,000 jobs added. Until next month’s report is released, the February 2013 Employment Situation Report will be available at http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf.
As for specific industries, the February 2013 Employment Situation Report found that professional and business services, construction, health care, retail trade, and information experienced job gains over the month:
- Professional and business services employment added 73,000 jobs in February 2013, with administrative and support services rising by 44,000 jobs and accounting and bookkeeping services adding 11,000 jobs.
- Construction employment increased by 48,000 jobs in February 2013, with residential specialty trade contractors adding 17,000 jobs and nonresidential specialty trade contractors adding 15,000 jobs. Since September 2012, construction employment has risen by 151,000 jobs.
- Health care employment continued to grow with 32,000 jobs added in February 2013. Within health care, ambulatory health care services added 14,000 jobs while nursing/residential care facilities and hospitals both added 9,000 jobs each.
- Retail trade employment rose by 24,000 jobs in February 2013, and has added 252,000 jobs over the past 12 months.
- Information industry employment increased in February 2013 with 20,000 jobs added due to a large job gain in the motion picture and sound recording industry.
The report also found that employment in other major industries showed little change over the month. The February 2013 Employment Situation Report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics will be available at http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf until the March 2013 Employment Situation Report is released on Friday, April 5, 2013.
Employers hiring workers may use pre-employment background checks to help ensure safe workplaces for their organizations, employees, and the public. For information about pre-employment background checks, visit Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority’ and nationwide screening firm accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®) – at http://www.esrcheck.com, call Toll Free 888.999.4474, or email email@example.com.
About Employment Screening Resources (ESR):
Founded by safe hiring expert Attorney Les Rosen in 1997, Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – ‘The Background Check AuthoritySM’– provides accurate and actionable information that empowers employers to make informed hiring decisions for the benefit of their organizations, employees, and the public. CEO Rosen literally wrote the book on background checks with “The Safe Hiring Manual” and ESR is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a distinction held by a small percent of screening firms. Employers choosing ESR know they have selected an agency meeting the highest industry standards. To learn more about ESR, visit http://www.esrcheck.com or call toll free 888.999.4474.
About ESR News:
The Employment Screening Resources (ESR) News blog – ESR News – provides employment screening information for employers, recruiters, and jobseekers on a variety of topics including credit reports, criminal records, data privacy, discrimination, E-Verify, jobs reports, legal updates, negligent hiring, workplace violence, and use of search engines and social network sites for background checks. For more information about ESR News or to send comments or questions, please email ESR News Editor Thomas Ahearn at firstname.lastname@example.org. To subscribe to the ESR News Blog Feed, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/feed/. To subscribe to the complimentary ESRcheck Report monthly newsletter, please visit http://www.esrcheck.com/Newsletter/.