Total nonfarm payroll employment in the United States edged up only 88,000 jobs in March 2013 while the unemployment rate dipped slightly to 7.6 percent and the number of unemployed persons dropped to 11.7 million, according to ‘THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION — MARCH 2013’ report released today by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Until next month’s report is released, the March 2013 Employment Situation Report is available at http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf.
The BLS employment report for March 2013 also revised the change in total nonfarm employment for January 2013 from 119,000 jobs added up to 148,000 jobs while the change for February 2013 was revised from 236,000 jobs added up to 268,000 jobs. Over the prior 12 months, employment growth had averaged 169,000 jobs per month. As for specific industries, the report found employment increased in professional and business services and in health care in March 2013, while retail trade employment declined during the month.
- Professional and business services added 51,000 jobs in March 2013. Over the past 12 months, employment in this industry has grown by 533,000 jobs.
- Health care gained 23,000 jobs in March 2013, similar to the prior 12-month average. Within health care, ambulatory health care services such as home health care increased by 15,000 jobs.
- Construction employment added 18,000 jobs in March 2013, and the industry has added 169,000 jobs overall since September 2012.
- Leisure and hospitality employment in food services and drinking places gained 13,000 jobs in March 2013 and the industry has added 262,000 jobs over the past year.
- Retail trade employment declined by 24,000 jobs in March 2013, with clothing accessories stores losing 15,000 jobs and building material and garden supply stores losing 10,000 jobs. The industry had added an average of 32,000 jobs per month over the prior 6 months.
- Government employment in the U.S. Postal Service fell by 12,000 jobs in March 2013.
- Employment in other major industries including mining, manufacturing, wholesale trade, transportation and warehousing, information, financial activities, state government, and local government showed little change in March 2013.
The Employment Situation for April 2013 is scheduled to be released on Friday, May 3, 2013. For the latest employment news updates, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics website at http://bls.gov/.
For information about pre-employment background checks, visit Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’ and nationwide screening firm accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®) – at http://www.esrcheck.com or call Toll Free 888.999.4474.
About Employment Screening Resources (ESR):
Founded by safe hiring expert Attorney Les Rosen in 1997, Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’– provides accurate and actionable information that empowers employers to make informed hiring decisions for the benefit of their organizations, employees, and the public. CEO Rosen literally wrote the book on background checks with “The Safe Hiring Manual” and ESR is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a distinction held by a small percent of screening firms. Employers choosing ESR know they have selected an agency meeting the highest industry standards. To learn more about ESR, visit http://www.esrcheck.com or call toll free 888.999.4474.
About ESR News:
The Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) News blog – ESR News – provides employment screening information for employers, recruiters, and jobseekers on a variety of topics including credit reports, criminal records, data privacy, discrimination, E-Verify, jobs reports, legal updates, negligent hiring, workplace violence, and use of search engines and social network sites for background checks. For more information about ESR News or to send comments or questions, please email ESR News Editor Thomas Ahearn at email@example.com. To subscribe to the ESR News Blog Feed, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/feed/. To subscribe to the complimentary ESRcheck Report monthly newsletter, please visit http://www.esrcheck.com/Newsletter/.