The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®) – the voice representing the background screening industry – will hold the NAPBS 2013 Mid-Year Legislative Conference from April 14 to 17, 2013 at the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel in Arlington, Virginia. The Conference will feature the largest collection of background screening professionals in the world and provide education about the latest breakthroughs on laws, best practices, and research in the consumer reporting field. To learn more about the Conference, visit http://www.napbs.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3593.
The NAPBS 2013 Mid-Year Legislative Conference slogan asks attendees to ‘Show Your Stars & Stripes’ and features Guest Speakers such as: Anthony Rodriguez, Staff Attorney, Federal Trade Commission (FTC); Commissioner Constance Barker, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC); and Commissioner Peter Kirsanow, U.S. Commission on Civil Rights (USCCR). The full Schedule of Events for the Conference, including names of additional speakers and session descriptions, is available at http://www.napbs.com/files/events/midyearmtg/2013/Schedule%20of%20Events.pdf:
Sunday, April 14, 2013
- 5:00 – 5:50 p.m. New Member / First Time Attendee Reception, Studio E
- 6:00 – 6:50 p.m. Opening Ceremony, Potomac Ballroom
Monday, April 15, 2013
- 8:30 – 9:50 a.m. Keynote Address: The Impact of Washington, DC and State Capitols on the Background Screening Profession, Potomac Ballroom
- 10:00 – 10:50 a.m. General Session: The EEOC’s Criminal Background Check Guidance: Perils and Concerns, Potomac Ballroom, Commissioner Peter Kirsanow, USCCR
- 11:00 – 11:50 a.m. Assault on Public Records — Limitations on the Use of Court Records in Residential Screening, Potomac Ballroom
- 11:00 – 11:50 a.m. Enhancing the Consumer Experience, Studio B
- 11:00 – 11:50 a.m. DOT Background Screening Do’s and Don’ts, Studio D
- 11:00 – 11:50 a.m. Employment Credit Reports: Value Added Service for Background Screeners, Studio E
- 11:00 – 11:50 a.m. Vendor Demonstration, Studio A
- Noon – 12:50 p.m. General Session: Employment Background Checks – An FTC Perspective on FCRA Enforcement, Guidance and Collaboration, Potomac Ballroom, Tony Rodriguez, Staff Attorney, FTC
- 3:00 – 3:50 p.m. Business Response to Restrictions on Criminal Records, Potomac Ballroom
- 3:00 – 3:50 p.m. Avoiding the Class-Action Landmines, Studio B
- 3:00 – 3:50 p.m. Social Security Fraud and The IMAGE Program, Studio D
- 3:00 – 3:50 p.m. Employment Credit Reports: A Public Policy Perspective, Studio E
- 3:00 – 3:50 p.m. Vendor Demonstration, Studio A
- 4:00 – 4:50 p.m. What Keeps You Up At Night? Regulatory and Other Nightmares: How to Keep Your Business Afloat in These Turbulent Times, Potomac Ballroom
- 4:00 – 4:50 p.m. Form I-9 Update: No Longer “Just” a One-Page Form, Studio B
- 4:00 – 4:50 p.m. Stop Chasing Paper! Use the Legality of Electronic Signatures in Your Favor, Studio D
- 4:00 – 4:50 p.m. How do you Audit Providers? Complying with DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing Regulations, Studio E
- 4:00 – 4:50 p.m. Vendor Demonstration, Studio A
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
- 10:00 – 10:50 a.m. General Session: Why I Opposed the EEOC Criminal Background Check Guidance and What You Need to Worry About Next: Remarks by EEOC Commissioner Constance Barker on the Agency’s Post-Election Agenda, Potomac Ballroom, Commissioner Constance Barker, EEOC
- Noon – 12:50 p.m. General Meeting/Town Hall, Potomac Ballroom
- 3:00 – 3:50 p.m. General Session: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau – Risks for Background Screening Companies, Potomac Ballroom
- 4:00 – 4:50 p.m. Legislators and Regulators: Establishing and Building Relationships, Potomac Ballroom
- 4:00 – 4: 50 p.m. Matrices and Criminal Records- Does My Company Need to Use Them?, Studio D
- 4:00 – 4:50 p.m. Compliance INCREASES Efficiency in the Background Screening Industry!, Studio E
- 4:00 – 4:50 p.m. Vendor Demonstration, Studio A
- 4:00 – 4:50 p.m. Exhibitor Meeting, Studio B
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
- NAPBS Capitol Hill Day: The Mid-Year Legislative Conference sessions will occur on April 14 to 16 and then the NAPBS Capitol Hill Day – formerly known as the “fly-in” – takes place on Wednesday, April 17, 2013. Members who sign up for NAPBS’s Capitol Hill Day are advised to attend the session entitled ‘Legislators and Regulators: Establishing and Building Relationships’ on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 to learn the best ways to forge relationships with their legislators and regulators at both the federal and local levels.
Founded in 2003, the NAPBS® is a non-profit trade association that serves to represent the interest of companies offering tenant, employment and background screening. The mission of the NAPBS® is to promote ethical business practices, compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), equal employment opportunity, and state consumer protection laws relating to the background screening profession. For more information, visit the NAPBS website at http://www.napbs.com/.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’ – is a nationwide background screening provider accredited by the NAPBS® Background Screening Credentialing Council (BSCC) for successfully proving compliance with the Background Screening Agency Accreditation Program (BSAAP). For more information about background check services and solutions from ESR, visit http://www.esrcheck.com or call Toll Free 888.999.4474.
About Employment Screening Resources® (ESR):
Founded by safe hiring expert Attorney Les Rosen in 1997, Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’– provides accurate and actionable information that empowers employers to make informed hiring decisions for the benefit of their organizations, employees, and the public. CEO Rosen literally wrote the book on background checks with “The Safe Hiring Manual” and ESR is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a distinction held by a small percent of screening firms. Employers choosing ESR know they have selected an agency meeting the highest industry standards. To learn more about ESR, visit http://www.esrcheck.com or call toll free 888.999.4474.
About ESR News:
The Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) News blog – ESR News – provides employment screening information for employers, recruiters, and jobseekers on a variety of topics including credit reports, criminal records, data privacy, discrimination, E-Verify, jobs reports, legal updates, negligent hiring, workplace violence, and use of search engines and social network sites for background checks. For more information about ESR News or to send comments or questions, please email ESR News Editor Thomas Ahearn at email@example.com. To subscribe to the ESR News Blog Feed, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/feed/. To subscribe to the complimentary ESRcheck Report monthly newsletter, please visit http://www.esrcheck.com/Newsletter/.