Total nonfarm payroll employment in the United States increased by 195,000 jobs in June 2013 while the unemployment rate and the number of unemployed persons remained unchanged at 7.6 percent and 11.8 million respectively, according to ‘THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION — JUNE 2013’ report released today by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The June 2013 Employment Situation Report is available until the next report is released at http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf.
The June 2013 Employment Situation Report also revised the change in total nonfarm payroll employment for April 2013 from 149,000 jobs added up to 199,000 jobs added while the change for May 2013 was revised from 175,000 jobs added up to 195,000 jobs added. With these revisions, employment gains in April 2013 and May 2013 combined were 70,000 jobs higher than previously reported.
Employment rose in leisure and hospitality, professional and business services, retail trade, health care, and financial activities during June 2013. Over the prior 12 months, employment growth has averaged 182,000 jobs per month. Among specific industries, the June 2013 Employment Situation Report found:
- Leisure and hospitality employment added 75,000 jobs in June 2013 and this industry has averaged 55,000 jobs per month so far in 2013, almost twice the average gain of 30,000 jobs per month in 2012. Within leisure and hospitality, employment in food services and drinking places continued to expand, increasing by 52,000 jobs in June 2013.
- Professional and business services employment rose by 53,000 jobs in June 2013 with temporary help services adding 10,000 jobs, management and technical consulting services gaining 8,000 jobs, and computer systems design and related services adding 7,000 jobs. Employment in professional and business services has grown by 624,000 jobs over the past year.
- Retail trade employment increased by 37,000 jobs in June 2013, with building material and garden supply stores adding 9,000 jobs and motor vehicle and parts dealers adding 8,000 jobs.
- Health care employment added 20,000 jobs in June 2013, with ambulatory health care services gaining 13,000 jobs and hospitals gaining 5,000 jobs following a loss of 8,000 jobs in May 2013.
- Financial activities employment rose by 17,000 jobs in June 2013, with credit intermediation adding 6,000 jobs and insurance carriers and related activities adding 6,000 jobs.
- Employment in other major industries including mining and logging, construction, manufacturing, and transportation and warehousing showed little or no change in June 2013.
- Federal government employment declined by 5,000 jobs in June 2013 and has decreased by 65,000 jobs over the past 12 months.
The Employment Situation for July 2013 is scheduled to be released on Friday, August 2, 2013. For the latest employment news updates, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics website at http://bls.gov/.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’ – is a nationwide screening firm accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®). For information about pre-employment background checks to help ensure a safe workplace for employers, employees, and the public, visit http://www.esrcheck.com or call Toll Free 888.999.4474.
About Employment Screening Resources® (ESR):
Founded by safe hiring expert Attorney Les Rosen in 1997, Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’– provides accurate and actionable information that empowers employers to make informed hiring decisions for the benefit of their organizations, employees, and the public. CEO Rosen literally wrote the book on background checks with “The Safe Hiring Manual” and ESR is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a distinction held by a small percent of screening firms. Employers choosing ESR know they have selected an agency meeting the highest industry standards. To learn more about ESR, visit http://www.esrcheck.com or call toll free 888.999.4474.
About ESR News:
The Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) News blog – ESR News – provides employment screening information for employers, recruiters, and jobseekers on a variety of topics including credit reports, criminal records, data privacy, discrimination, E-Verify, jobs reports, legal updates, negligent hiring, workplace violence, and use of search engines and social network sites for background checks. For more information about ESR News or to send comments or questions, please email ESR News Editor Thomas Ahearn at firstname.lastname@example.org. To subscribe to the ESR News Blog Feed, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/feed/. To subscribe to the complimentary ESRcheck Report monthly newsletter, please visit http://www.esrcheck.com/Newsletter/.