Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of San Francisco-area background check firm Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), will present a session titled ‘The Top Trends for Background Checks in 2013 – What Every Employer Needs to Know’ at the San Francisco HR Star Conference on Wednesday, July 17, 2013. The conference will take place from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM Pacific Time at the South San Francisco Conference Center. For more information, visit http://www.hrstarconference.com/sf/.
“Employers can be sued for negligent hiring if they hire someone they should have known, through the exercise of due diligence, was too dangerous, unfit, dishonest or unqualified for the job,” says Rosen, author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual,’ the first comprehensive guide to employment background checks. “This session will review the top ten trends when it comes to background checks and attendees will learn legally complaint best practices for screening to help keep a business productive and out of court including steps a firm can take immediately to avoid a bad hire.”
The 6th Annual ‘ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends for 2013’ is a list featuring emerging and influential trends in the background check industry selected by Rosen. The list helps Human Resources Professionals avoid bad hires by keeping current trends, best practices, and legal compliance affecting background checks and due diligence in hiring. For 2013, Rosen selected the following top background check trends and the full list is available at http://www.esrcheck.com/Top-Ten-Background-Check-Trends-for-2013.php:
- Background Screening Industry Faces Greater Scrutiny after Accuracy of Criminal Background Checks Questioned
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Updates Guidance on Criminal Records to Prevent Employment Discrimination during Background Checks
- “Ban the Box” Movement Removing Question about Criminal Records from Job Applications Spreads Across United States
- New Privacy Laws for Collection and Use of Personal Data of Consumers Focus on Background Checks
- Offshoring Personal Data of Americans to Foreign Countries for Background Checks Opposed by Many US Screening Firms
- Class Action Lawsuits for Violations of Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) Becoming More Common for Consumer Reporting Agencies
- New E-Verify State Laws for 2013 Will Add to Already Confusing Patchwork of Regulations for Employers
- Use of National Criminal Databases No Substitution for County Courthouse Searches during Real Background Checks
- Government Increases Action Against Consumer Reporting Agencies Using Background Checks in Violation of FCRA
- Background Checks Becoming Integrated with ATS and HRIS to Create One Stop Shop for Screening and Hiring
Since 2008, Rosen has compiled a yearly list of top screening trends after reviewing developments from various sources that include evolving hiring practices and demographics, legal cases concerning background checks, advancements in screening technology, new government regulations for screening at the federal and state levels, and questions and concerns regarding background checks. For previous ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends lists, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/ESR-Top-Ten-Background-Check-Trends.php.
Rosen – a nationally recognized safe hiring expert – was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®) and served as the first co-chairman. His speaking appearances have included numerous national and statewide conferences for the ‘ESR Speaks’ training program. For information about future speaking appearances by Rosen, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/ESR_Speaks.php.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’ – is a nationwide background screening provider accredited by the NAPBS. For more information about background checks from ESR, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/ or call toll free 888.999.4474. For information about ‘The Safe Hiring Manual’ by Lester Rosen, which was updated for a 2nd edition in October 2012, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/SafeHiringManual.php.
About Employment Screening Resources® (ESR):
Founded by safe hiring expert Attorney Les Rosen in 1997, Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’– provides accurate and actionable information that empowers employers to make informed hiring decisions for the benefit of their organizations, employees, and the public. CEO Rosen literally wrote the book on background checks with “The Safe Hiring Manual” and ESR is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a distinction held by a small percent of screening firms. Employers choosing ESR know they have selected an agency meeting the highest industry standards. To learn more about ESR, visit http://www.esrcheck.com or call toll free 888.999.4474.
About ESR News:
The Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) News blog – ESR News – provides employment screening information for employers, recruiters, and jobseekers on a variety of topics including credit reports, criminal records, data privacy, discrimination, E-Verify, jobs reports, legal updates, negligent hiring, workplace violence, and use of search engines and social network sites for background checks. For more information about ESR News or to send comments or questions, please email ESR News Editor Thomas Ahearn at email@example.com. To subscribe to the ESR News Blog Feed, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/feed/. To subscribe to the complimentary ESRcheck Report monthly newsletter, please visit http://www.esrcheck.com/Newsletter/.