Since the Golden State has a unique set of background check laws, Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of San Francisco, CA-area based Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), will present the webinar “Dealing with ‘Only in California’ Laws Regulating Employment Screening and Safe Hiring” on Monday, December 2, 2013 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 Noon PT at the HR.com ‘HR In California’ virtual conference. For more information and to register for the event, visit http://www.hr.com/stories/1380526039340.
“In the ‘Independent Republic of California,’ background screening is done much differently than in the other 49 states,” explains Rosen, author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual.’ “Even though California employers still need to follow the federal law known as the Fair Credit Reporting Act, there is a large overlay of additional California rules and requirements when it comes to background checks.”
In the hour long webinar, attendees will learn about critical “California only” requirements including:
- Unique language that must be in California consent.
- Language required in a California employer certification to the screening firm.
- Special language needed on the first page of a background report.
- How California is the only state that has a Spanish language form and when and how it is required to be used.
- New California off-shoring disclosure rules.
- New California credit reporting rules.
- Current litigation challenging the seven year limitation on reporting criminal records.
- California rules on obtaining a consumer’s social network site password.
- Why an employer in California cannot consider a matter that was an arrest only.
- Understanding the alphabet soup of the ICRA, FEHA, and ICR.
- Numerous limitations on background firms.
- Why criminal databases are dangerous for California employers.
- How the California $10,0000 civil penalty operates.
- The two California check boxes including the “secret” check box.
- The California rules on past employment checks and eligibility for rehiring.
- The interplay between the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Guidance on criminal records, and California law.
Presented by HR.com and its certification and accreditation process arm the Institute for Human Resources (IHR), the ‘HR In California’ virtual conference takes place December 2-3, 2013. Anyone who hires or employs in California including Human Resources professionals, hiring managers, business executive, and anyone with compliance responsibilities should participate in the event. Attendees will:
- Learn how California laws regarding due diligence and background checks are unique and different than the rest of the United States.
- Understand key areas where businesses that hire or employ in California face significant exposure for damages.
- Audit their current practices in California for legal compliance.
“Given the large risk with just one bad hire, employers cannot simply opt out of these complexities by not doing background checks at all since the risk is too high,” says Rosen, a frequent speaker on background check issues as part of the ‘ESR Speaks’ program. “The bottom line is that employers still need to exercise due diligence but need to follow all the complex requirements for California.”
Rosen – a nationally recognized safe hiring and background check expert – founded Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) in 1997 in Novato, California and the company is accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®). For more information about ESR, visit http://www.esrcheck.com, call toll free 888.999.4474, or email email@example.com.
About Employment Screening Resources® (ESR):
Founded by safe hiring expert Attorney Les Rosen in 1997, Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’– provides accurate and actionable information that empowers employers to make informed hiring decisions for the benefit of their organizations, employees, and the public. CEO Rosen literally wrote the book on background checks with “The Safe Hiring Manual” and ESR is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a distinction held by a small percent of screening firms. Employers choosing ESR know they have selected an agency meeting the highest industry standards. To learn more about ESR, visit http://www.esrcheck.com or call toll free 888.999.4474.
About ESR News: The Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) News blog – ESR News – provides employment screening information for employers, recruiters, and jobseekers on a variety of topics including credit reports, criminal records, data privacy, discrimination, E-Verify, jobs reports, legal updates, negligent hiring, workplace violence, and use of search engines and social network sites for background checks. For more information about ESR News or to send comments or questions, please email ESR News Editor Thomas Ahearn at firstname.lastname@example.org. To subscribe to the ESR News Blog Feed, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/feed/. To subscribe to the complimentary ESRcheck Report monthly newsletter, please visit http://www.esrcheck.com/Newsletter/.