Written By Thomas Ahearn
To help raise awareness of the potential dangers of social media usage by recruiters, Attorney Lester S. Rosen, author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual,’ will present the session ‘Legal Pitfalls and Minefields in the New Age of Recruiting’ on Thursday, April 3, 2014 from 2:30 PM to 3:20 PM at the 2014 Recruiting Trends Conference in Alexandria, Virginia. More information about the conference, which will be held from April 2 to April 4, 2014, is available at http://www.recruitingtrends.com/conference.
“Before jumping on the Internet recruiters should be aware that dangers and pitfalls exist and what might seem like a strategic use of social media for recruiting could be a fast track ticket to litigation, governmental investigations, and bad press,” explains Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), a background check firm located in the San Francisco, California-area that is accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®).
The Recruiting Trends Conference brings together recruiters, sourcers, talent acquisition managers, and other Human Resources and recruitment professionals to share best practices and strategies for the hiring process. In his session, Rosen will review some of the legal considerations in using the internet to select and screen candidates and explain that if employers don’t use social media carefully they may spend more time in the courtroom than they do growing their business. Topics covered will include:
- How to avoid allegations of discrimination based upon prohibited criteria such as race, creed, color, sex, medical condition, marital status, age and other criteria when recruiting.
- Why recruiters are tempting fate by assuming that just become something is online that all rights to privacy have been waived.
- How the internet is a virtual petri dish for fraud and deceit by candidates pushing totally fake credentials, such as fraudulent education and employment histories and how to avoid the sophisticated scams.
- How state laws are restricting internet use, such as prohibiting the consideration of lawful off-duty conduct or prohibitions on requiring applicant passwords.
- How the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Guidance on the use of criminal records issued in 2012 may well change the way every U.S. firm recruits and hires.
- The many problems with using “social media” searches as a form of a pre-hire background check.
- Other dangers recruiters face in using the internet as well as potential solutions.
Rosen is a consultant, writer, and frequent presenter on employment screening and safe hiring issues and his speaking appearances have included numerous national and statewide conferences. He was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the NAPBS and served as first co-chair. He also has qualified as an expert witness on issues surrounding safe hiring and due diligence. For future speaking events featuring Attorney Lester Rosen, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/Stay-Updated/ESR-Speaks/.
The 2014 Recruiting Trends Conference features industry leaders and practitioners in an engaging format and is designed to give attendees a big picture overview of the latest recruiting issues and their impact as well as focusing in on more specific issues. The event will be held from April 2 to April 4, 2014 at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center on 5000 Seminary Road in Alexandria, Virginia. To register for the 2014 Recruiting Trends Conference, visit https://www.regonline.com/rtcspring2014.
About Employment Screening Resources® (ESR):
Founded by safe hiring expert Attorney Lester Rosen in the San Francisco, CA-area in 1997, Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’– provides accurate and actionable information that empowers employers to make informed hiring decisions for the benefit of their organizations, employees, and the public. CEO Rosen literally wrote the book on background checks with “The Safe Hiring Manual” and ESR is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a distinction held by a small percent of screening firms. ESR provides Effortless Legal Compliance, Proven Expertise, Less Work/Lower Cost, Results You Can Trust, and Painless Migration. To learn more about ESR, visit http://www.esrcheck.com, call toll free 888.999.4474, or email email@example.com.
About ESR News:
The Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) News blog – ESR News – provides employment screening information for employers, recruiters, and jobseekers on a variety of topics including “Ban the Box,” credit reports, criminal records, data privacy, discrimination, E-Verify, jobs reports, legal updates, negligent hiring, workplace violence, and use of search engines and social network sites for background checks. For more information about ESR News or to send comments or questions, please email ESR News Editor Thomas Ahearn at firstname.lastname@example.org.