Written By Thomas Ahearn
Private sector employment in the United States increased by 179,000 jobs from April to May, according to the May 2014 ADP National Employment Report produced by Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (ADP®) in collaboration with Moody’s Analytics. The employment report is available at http://www.adpemploymentreport.com/2014/May/NER/NER-May-2014.aspx.
“After a strong post-winter rebound in April, job growth in May slowed somewhat. The 179,000 jobs added figure is higher than May of last year and in line with the average over the past twelve months,” ADP president and chief executive officer Carlos A. Rodriguez stated in a press release about the May 2014 employment report available at http://www.adpemploymentreport.com/2014/May/NER/docs/ADP-NATIONAL-EMPLOYMENT-REPORT-May2014-Final-Press-Release.pdf.
Key findings of the May 2014 ADP employment report are broken down into the following categories*:
By Company Size:
- Small businesses representing payrolls with 1 to 49 employees added 82,000 jobs.
- Medium businesses representing payrolls with 50 to 499 employees added 61,000 jobs.
- Large businesses representing payrolls with 500 or more employees added 37,000 jobs.
- Service providing sector added 150,000 jobs.
- Goods producing sector added 29,000 jobs.
- Professional/business services added 46,000 jobs.
- Trade/transportation/utilities added 35,000 jobs.
- Construction added 14,000 jobs.
- Manufacturing added 10,000 jobs.
- Financial activities added 6,000 jobs.
* Sum of components may not equal total due to rounding.
The ADP National Employment Report is a monthly measure of the change in total U.S. nonfarm private employment derived from actual, anonymous payroll data of nearly 24 million U.S. workers from client companies served by ADP. The June 2014 ADP National Employment Report will be released on July 2, 2014.
Employment Report Information from ESR News
For previous ESR News Blogs about the ADP employment report, please visit http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/tag/jobs-report/. For more information about Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’ –visit http://www.esrcheck.com, call Toll Free 888.999.4474, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.