Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) will present a Webcast for HR.com Quality of Hire Virtual Event titled ‘Legal and Effective Reference Checking and Education Verification’ on Thursday, September 4, 2014 from 2:30 PM to 3:30 PM Eastern Time. For more information about the event, visit http://www.hr.com/en/webcasts_events/webcasts/upcoming_webcasts/legal-and-effective-reference-checking-and-educati_hy8yor11.html.
“With hiring decision becoming more critical in challenging economic times, verifying past employment and education and reference checking have become critical,” says Rosen, author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual.’ “Unfortunately, falsifying or inflating employment and educational accomplishments has become a significant problem for employers. Legal limitations also create barriers for human resources professional when obtaining and giving past employment information.
This webcast will review legal and effective technique for the reference checking process and how to verify education and spot phony credentials. There are now even web sites where applicants can purchase very convincing fake education and employment histories, complete with authentic looking documentation and live operators who will verify the false information. New technologies and approaches will also be reviewed, as well as special issue involving international credentials and the role of Web 2.0 in the process.
Participants including HR Professionals, Recruiters, and Hiring Managers will learn:
- Learn effective and legal strategies to verify an applicant’s past employment and education accomplishments.
- Explore why employment reference checking creates legal issues for employers and strategies for obtaining information and dealing with requests from other employers.
- Learn why phony education credentials are problematic and how to spot degree mills.
- Review new technologies and approaches to credentials verifications.
- Understand special issues when it comes to international employment and education verification.
Rosen founded Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), a nationwide background check provider, in 1997 and the company is accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS). He is a frequent presenter on issues involving background checks and safe hiring issues for the ESR Speaks training program. For information about future presentations by Rosen, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/Stay-Updated/ESR-Speaks/.