Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR), will present a live webinar with Aurora Training Advantage titled Background Checks and Legal Compliance on Thursday, October 2, 2014 from 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM Eastern Time. For more information about the webinar, which is worth 1.5 PHR/SPHR Credits, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/Stay-Updated/ESR-Speaks/Detail/226/Background-Checks-and-Legal-Compliance.
“While most companies are using background checks to screen job applicants, some employers may not have a full understanding of the many laws and regulations that they must comply with,” says Rosen, author of The Safe Hiring Manual, the first comprehensive guide to background checks.
Attendees of this webinar will learn the following information needed to conduct thorough, effective, and compliant background checks from Rosen:
- Compliance with the 2012 U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Guidance on the Use of Criminal records.
- Compliance with the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- The impact of state laws on background checks.
- New laws on credit reports, social media passwords, and offshoring personal information.
- How to rescind job offers after background checks come back with convictions.
- The EEOC’s “three-factor test” when considering an applicant with a criminal history.
- Should an employer “ban the box” on an application form?
- Understanding how the EEOC views arrests vs. convictions.
- Does your state prohibit discrimination based on arrest records?
- What to do when an employee has to do jail time for his second DUI or some other offense.
- The keys to applicant screening: The application, interview and reference checking process.
Rosen is a nationally recognized expert on background checks who was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) and served as the first co-chairman. He is a frequent presenter nationwide on issues surrounding background checks and his speaking appearances have included numerous national and statewide conferences for the “ESR Speaks” program.
Rosen founded Employment Screening Resources (ESR) in 1997 and the company is accredited under the NAPBS Background Screening Agency Accreditation Program (BSAAP). ESR’s Service Organization Control SOC 2 Audit Report confirms the company meets high standards set by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) for data security, confidentiality, and privacy. For more information about background checks from ESR, call Toll Free 888.999.4474 or visit http://www.esrcheck.com/Connect-With-ESR/.