Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester Rosen, founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), will present a session titled ‘Legal Pitfalls & Minefields in the New Age of Recruiting’ at the Recruiting Trends Conference at the Mirage Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 from 2:30 PM to 3:20 PM Pacific Time. To learn more, visit http://www.recruitingtrends.com/conference.
In his session at the Recruiting Trends Conference, Rosen – author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual’ and a nationally recognized background check expert – will review some of the legal considerations in using the internet to select and screen candidates that employers need to be aware of to avoid litigation, governmental investigations, and bad press. Topics in this Recruiting Trends Conference session include:
- Avoiding allegations of discrimination based on prohibited criteria such as race, creed, color, sex, medical condition, marital status, age or other criteria.
- Tempting fate: assuming that just because information is online, all rights to privacy have been waived.
- The internet as a virtual petri dish for fraud and deceit, with candidates pushing fake credentials, education and employment histories; how to avoid the sophisticated scams.
- The latest on how state laws are restricting internet use, such as prohibitions on considering lawful off-duty conduct and on requiring applicant passwords.
- The 2012 EEOC Guidance on the use of criminal records and how it may change the way every US firm recruits and hires.
- The risks of using social media searches as a form of pre-hire background check.
- Other dangers of using the internet for recruiting – and potential solutions.
Rosen founded Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) in 1997 and the firm is accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS). ESR’s Service Organization Control SOC 2 Audit Report confirms the company meets high standards set by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) for data security, confidentiality, and privacy.
Rosen was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the NAPBS and served as the first co-chair. His speaking appearances have included numerous national and statewide conferences – as well as previous Recruiting Trends Conference sessions – for the “ESR Speaks” program. To learn more about Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), call 888.999.4474 or visit http://www.esrcheck.com/.
The Recruiting Trends Conference takes place from October 28 to 30, 2014 and features top recruiters and innovative strategies. Recruiting Trends is the leading provider of targeted recruiting conferences, best practices content, and networking opportunities that focus on the internal recruiting function that includes Corporate Recruiting, Talent Acquisition, and Human Resources professionals.