Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), will present a session titled ‘Dealing with “Only in California” Laws Regulating Employment Screening and Safe Hiring’ at the HR.com Institute for Human Resources (IHR) HR in California Virtual Conference on Wednesday, November 5, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM Pacific Time. To register for this free event, visit http://web.hr.com/i8oq.
“Background screening is done much differently in California than in the other 49 states,” explains Rosen, author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual.’ “Not only do California employers need to follow the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act, there is a large overlay of additional rules and requirements when it comes to background checks.”
In the session, Rosen will provide an introduction to the many ways California is different when it comes to employee selection and background checks. Attendees will learn about critical California only requirements including:
- Unique language that must be in California consent.
- Language required in a California employer certification to the screening firm.
- How California is the only state that has a Spanish language form and when and how it is required to be used.
- California off-shoring disclosure rules and credit reporting rules.
- California rules on obtaining a consumer’s social network site password.
- Why criminal databases are dangerous for California employers.
- How the California $10,000 civil penalty operates.
The session is designed for anyone who hires or employs in California including Human Resources professionals, hiring managers, recruiters, talent acquisition specialists, and anyone with hiring and compliance responsibilities. The HR.com Institute for Human Resources (IHR) HR in California Virtual Conference will take place from November 5-6, 2014. To register for free, visit http://www.hr.com/en/webcasts_events/virtual_events/upcoming_virtual_events/hr-in-california_hl8bjcm0.html
Located in California, Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’ – is accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS). ESR’s Service Organization Control SOC 2 Audit Report confirms the company meets high standards set by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) for data security, confidentiality, and privacy. For more information, call Toll Free 888.999.4474 or visit http://www.esrcheck.com/.