Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Private sector employment in the United States increased by 230,000 jobs from September to October with small and medium-sized businesses leading the way with a combined 224,000 jobs added, according to the October 2014 ADP National Employment Report®. The report is available at http://www.adpemploymentreport.com/2014/October/NER/NER-October-2014.aspx.
“Employment continues to trend upward as we begin the last quarter of 2014, driven mostly by small to mid-sized companies,” ADP president and chief executive officer Carlos Rodriguez stated in a press release about the October ADP National Employment Report. “October’s job growth is the highest since June and the second highest gain of 2014.”
Key findings of the October ADP National Employment Report were broken down into the following categories*:
By Company Size:
- Small businesses representing payrolls with 1 to 49 employees added 102,000 jobs.
- Medium businesses representing payrolls with 50 to 499 employees added 122,000 jobs.
- Large businesses representing payrolls with 500 or more employees added 5,000 jobs.
- Service providing sector added 181,000 jobs.
- Goods producing sector added 48,000 jobs.
- Professional/business services added 53,000 jobs.
- Trade/transportation/utilities added 47,000 jobs.
- Construction added 28,000 jobs.
- Manufacturing added 15,000 jobs.
- Financial activities added 4,000 jobs.
* Sum of components October not equal total due to rounding.
The ADP National Employment Report – produced by Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (ADP®) in collaboration with Moody’s Analytics – uses ADP’s actual payroll data and measures the change in total nonfarm private employment each month on a seasonally-adjusted basis. The November 2014 ADP National Employment Report will be released on December 3, 2014.
Ban the Box Webinar from Employment Screening Resources November 12
Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR) and author of “The Safe Hiring Manual,” will present the webinar “Ban the Box – What Employers Need to Know” on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM Pacific Time. To register for this webinar, which will show how Ban the Box laws that remove questions about criminal records of applicants from job applications are fast becoming a national standard that will soon affect all employers, visit http://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4488944598710491905.