Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
California Courts and judicial branch offices will be closed Thursday, November 27, 2014 and Friday, November 28, 2014 in observance of the Thanksgiving Day holiday. For a schedule of court holidays on which the California courts will be closed, visit http://www.courts.ca.gov/holidays.htm.
The California courts will be closed in observance of the following remaining holidays in 2014:
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 27
- Day after Thanksgiving – Friday, November 28
- Christmas Day – Thursday, December 25
Thanksgiving Day is a holiday celebrated annually on the fourth Thursday in November in the United States. According to the Wikipedia.com entry for Thanksgiving in the United States, some important dates in the history of Thanksgiving are:
- 1621 – The event known as the “First Thanksgiving” was celebrated by the Pilgrims at the Plymouth Plantation after their first harvest with Native Americans in attendance as guests.
- 1777 – The First National Proclamation of Thanksgiving was given by both first President George Washington and the Continental Congress.
- 1863 – Thanksgiving Day became an official Federal holiday during the Civil War when President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national day of “Thanksgiving and Praise” to be celebrated on the last Thursday in November.
- 1941 – On December 26, 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed a bill that makes the date of Thanksgiving a federal law and fixes the day as the fourth Thursday of November.
For more information about Thanksgiving in the United States, visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(United_States).
Employment Screening Resources (ESR) Offices Closed for Thanksgiving
Employment Screening Resources (ESR) offices will be closed Thursday, November 27, 2014 and Friday, November 28, 2014 in observance of the Thanksgiving Day holiday. ESR offices will be open on Monday, December 1, 2014. For more information about background checks, call 888.999.4474 or visit http://www.esrcheck.com.