Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Private sector employment in the United States increased by 321,000 jobs in November 2014 while the unemployment rate was unchanged at 5.8 percent and the number of unemployed persons rose slightly to 9.1 million, according to ‘THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION — NOVEMBER 2014’ jobs report released by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The most recent jobs report is available at http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf.
The November 2014 jobs report revealed the unemployment rate and the number of unemployed persons declined by 1.2 percentage points and 1.7 million over the year. Over the prior twelve months, job growth averaged 224,000 jobs per month. The jobs report for November 2014 found job growth was widespread, led by gains in professional and business services, retail trade, health care, manufacturing, and food services and drinking places. Among specific industries, the jobs report found:
- Professional and business services employment increased by 86,000 jobs in November, compared with an average gain of 57,000 jobs per month over the prior 12 months.
- Retail trade employment rose by 50,000 jobs in November, compared with an average gain of 22,000 jobs per month over the prior 12 months.
- Health care employment added 29,000 jobs over the month. Over the past 12 months, employment in health care has increased by 261,000 jobs.
- Manufacturing employment added 28,000 jobs. Over the year, manufacturing has added 171,000 jobs.
- Food services and drinking places employment continued to trend up in November with 27,000 jobs added and has increased by 321,000 jobs over the year.
- Construction employment added 20,000 jobs. Over the past 12 months, construction has added 213,000 jobs.
- Financial activities employment added 20,000 jobs in November. Over the past year, 114,000 jobs were gained in financial activities.
- Transportation and warehousing employment increased by 17,000 jobs in November. Over the past 12 months, transportation and warehousing has added 143,000 jobs.
In addition, the change in total nonfarm payroll employment for September was revised from 256,000 jobs added to 271,000 jobs added, and the change for October was revised from 214,000 jobs added to 243,000 jobs added. With these revisions, employment gains in September and October combined were 44,000 more than previously reported.
The Employment Situation for December 2014 is scheduled to be released on January 9, 2015.
More Jobs Report Blogs from ESR
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’ – is a nationwide background screening firm accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®). ESR’s SOC 2 Audit Report confirms the company meets high standards set by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) for protecting customer information. For more information about ESR, call 888.999.4474 or visit http://www.esrcheck.com/. For more jobs report blogs, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/tag/jobs-report/.