Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR), will present a webinar with Bloomberg BNA titled ‘Negligent Hiring and Background Checks – Best Practices and Legal Compliance’ on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 from 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM ET. To learn more, visit http://www.bna.com/negligent-hiring-background-m17179921229/.
“Employee problems are caused by problem employees, and this session will help Human Resource professionals legally avoid bad hires in the first place,” says Rosen, author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual,’ a comprehensive guide to employment screening background checks.
Attendees of the 90 minute webinar will learn what precautions are needed when performing background checks as well as what steps their organizations can take to implement a legally compliant program and to hire the best employee. Learning points include:
- Learn why background checks and due diligence have become mission critical for employers.
- Understand the basics of a negligent hiring lawsuit and defenses that work and do not work.
- Get acquainted with best practices and cutting edge issues such as the new U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) focus on criminal records and credit reports and the use of social network sites.
- Understand new legal trends impacting criminal background checks such as “Ban the Box” and laws downgrading felonies.
- Be aware of the dramatic increase in class action lawsuits under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and how to avoid being a defendant in such a lawsuit.
Rosen was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) and served as first co-chair. He is a frequent presenter on issues involving background checks and his speaking appearances for “ESR Speaks” include numerous state and national conferences.
In 1997, Attorney Lester Rosen founded Employment Screening Resources (ESR), a nationwide provider of background checks accredited by the NAPBS. ESR’s SOC 2 report confirms ESR meets high standards for protecting consumer information used for background checks. For more information, call Toll Free 888.999.4474 or visit http://www.esrcheck.com.