Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
With the National Weather Service issuing blizzard warnings for Winter Storm Juno from New Jersey to Maine, courts in several states in the northeast will be closed on Tuesday, January 27, 2015. Courts will be closed due to Winter Storm Juno in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island. For the latest weather updates on Winter Storm Juno, please visit http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/winter-storm-juno-blizzard-boston-nyc-new-england.
The following will experience court closures on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 due to Winter Storm Juno:
- Connecticut – All Judicial Branch courthouses and administrative offices will be closed on Tuesday, January 27, 2015.
- Maine – All State courts closed Tuesday, January 27, 2015. See link below for specific court delayed openings Wednesday, January 28, 2015: Court Closings Are In Effect — Get More Information.
- Massachusetts – In accord with the Governor’s announced state of emergency and travel ban due to the blizzard, the Massachusetts Judiciary will close all court locations across the state on Tuesday, January 27th to ensure the safety of court users and court staff. An evaluation of conditions will be made Tuesday evening to determine accessibility to courthouses for Wednesday openings.
- New Hampshire – Following Governor Hassan’s declaration of a state of emergency, the Judicial Branch announced today that all courts across the state will be closed on Tuesday, January 27 due to the incoming blizzard. Courts are expected to re-open on Wednesday, January 28. Parties may call 855-212-1234 on Wednesday morning to confirm whether their court date will proceed as scheduled.
- New Jersey – All state courts and court offices are closed Tuesday, January 27, 2015.
- New York – Appellate Division First Department will be closed Tuesday, January 27, 2015. Courts will be closed on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at these counties: New York City; Dutchess County; Nassau County; Orange County; Putnam County; Rockland County; Suffolk County; and Westchester County.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – Due to the inclement weather all Courts and Offices of the Philadelphia Courts will be closed Tuesday, January 27, 2015, due to a weather emergency. All critical court services are expected to remain operational.
- Rhode Island – Courts are closed on Tuesday, January 27. All calendars suspended.
According to a report from The Weather Channel, Winter Storm Juno has dumped more than a foot of snow on parts of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, and Rhode Island. Some places have reported more than two feet of snow. The Weather Channel named Winter Storm Juno after a goddess in Roman mythology who looked after the women of Rome. For snow, wind, and coastal flooding reports from Winter Storm Juno, click here.