Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’ – has released an updated version of the ‘ESR Online Safe Hiring Certification Training Course’ created by ESR Founder and CEO Attorney Lester Rosen and based on his book “The Safe Hiring Manual.” For more information about the course, please visit http://www.esrcheck.com/Resource-Center/Safe-Hiring-Course/.
“Background screening and due diligence are mission critical for employers, especially in view of the risks inherent in hiring and the numerous legal compliance issues facing employers,” commented Rosen. “However, there are very few in-depth educational and training resources for employers, and this course is aimed at filling that gap by offering a professional online course for anyone involved in the hiring process. Through this course, an HR or security professional, hiring manger, or anyone in charge of a firm’s background screening process will have an unique training and educational opportunity and can earn a Safe Hiring certification that will demonstrate their professional achievement.”
The course is divided into seven units covering safe hiring: Unit 1: Introduction To Safe Hiring Program (SHP); Unit 2: Legal Considerations of Safe Hiring; Unit 3: The Application, Interview & Reference (AIR) Process; Unit 4: Basics of Employment Screening; Unit 5: Criminal Record Background Checks; Unit 6: Additional Background Screening Tools; and Unit 7: Drug Testing & Other Screening Issues.
The entire seven unit course is approved for 20 (HR (General)) recertification credit hours toward PHR (Professional in Human Resources), SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources) and GPHR (Global Professional in Human Resources) recertification through the HR Certification Institute (HRCI). The program has met HRCI’s criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.
ESR is also recognized as a Preferred Provider by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP™) and SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP™). The entire course is worth 20 PDCs toward SHRM-CP™ and SHRM-SCP™ through the SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge™ (SHRM BoCK™).
More information about the individual units of the course covering critical areas of safe hiring is below:
- Unit 1 – Introduction to Safe Hiring Program (SHP) (3 HRCI credits / 3 SHRM PDCs) offers lessons on an Introduction to Safe Hiring, Problems Caused by “Bad Hires,” the Safe Hiring Program (SHP), and The S.A.F.E. (Set-Up, Acclimate, Facilitate & Evaluate) System.
- Unit 2 – Legal Considerations Of Safe Hiring (3 HRCI credits / 3 SHRM PDCs) offers lessons on Due Diligence and Negligent Hiring, Discrimination and Privacy Laws, the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and State Laws for Background Checks.
- Unit 3 – The Application, Interview & Reference (AIR) Process (2.50 HRCI credits / 2.50 SHRM PDCs) offers lessons on the AIR Process that includes the Application Process, the Interview Process, and the Reference Process.
- Unit 4 – Basics of Employment Screening (3 HRCI credits / 3 SHRM PDCs) offers lessons on Education and Credentials Verifications, Mechanics of Employment Screening, the Employment Screening Process, Selecting a Background Screening Company, the Background Screening Industry, and National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) Accreditation.
- Unit 5 – Criminal Record Background Checks (3 HRCI credits / 3 SHRM PDCs) offers lessons on the Role of Criminal Records in Safe Hiring, A Criminal Record Primer, Legally Obtaining Criminal Records, and U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Guidance on Criminal Records.
- Unit 6 – Additional Background Screening Tools (3 HRCI credits / 3 SHRM PDCs) offers lessons on Credit Reports a Social Security Number (SSN) Traces, Social Media Background Checks, Other Screening Tools, International Background Checks, and Terrorist Searches and the Patriot Act.
- Unit 7 – Drug Testing & Other Screening Issues (2.50 HRCI credits / 2.50 SHRM PDCs) offers lessons on Drug Testing, Employee Theft and Embezzlement, Workplace Violence, Screening Temps and Volunteers, Employer Issues with Identity Theft, Form I-9 and E-Verify, and “After the Hire” Issues.
New features of the ‘ESR Online Safe Hiring Certification Training Course’ include information about:
- Updated U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Guidance on the use of criminal records by employers.
- “Ban the Box” movement seeking to remove the criminal history question from job applications
- Social media background checks.
- Federal and state E-Verify laws.
- National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) accreditation program.
If all seven units are purchased together, the price of the entire course is discounted 20 percent from the price if all units are purchased separately. Each unit of the course ends with a 25 question quiz that learners must score at least 80 percent (20 questions correct) to pass. Each unit also includes a study guide handout. For any questions about the course, please email email@example.com.
The course creator Rosen is a safe hiring expert who founded Employment Screening Resources (ESR), a nationwide background check firm accredited by the NAPBS. He was also the chair of the steering committee that founded NAPBS and served as the first co-chair. ESR’s SOC 2 Audit Report confirms ESR meets high standards set for protecting consumer information. For more information about Employment Screening Resources (ESR), call toll free 888.999.4474 or visit http://www.esrcheck.com.
* NOTE: To participate in the ESR Online Safe Hiring Certification Training Course, users must have access to the Internet, some type of computer/laptop with keyboard and mouse/pad, and a printer if they want to print out worksheets for the course.
© 2015 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.