Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester Rosen, founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), will present a live Webinar with Aurora Training Advantage titled ‘Background Checks and Legal Compliance’ on Thursday, May 14, 2015 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. EDT. To register for this webinar, please visit http://auroratrainingadvantage.com/webinars/background-checks/.
While most companies use background checks to screen applicants, many may not have a full understanding of the many laws and regulations that they must comply with for background checks. Bad background check policies can turn into a compliance nightmare. The webinar will offer the information needed to conduct thorough, effective, and compliant background checks.
The agency for the webinar ‘Background Checks and Legal Compliance’ – which is worth 1.5 PHR/SPHR credits through the HR Certification Institute – includes:
- Compliance with the 2012 Equal Employment opportunity Commission (EEOC) Guidance on the Use of Criminal records.
- Compliance with the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- The impact of state laws on background checks.
- New laws on credit reports, social media passwords and offshoring personal information.
- How to rescind an offer after a background check comes back with an arrest or a conviction.
- The EEOC’s “three-factor test” when considering an applicant with a criminal history.
- Should an employer “ban the box” on an application form?
- Understanding how the EEOC views arrests vs. convictions.
- Does your state prohibit discrimination based on arrest records?
- What to do when an employee has to do jail time for his second DUI or some other offense.
- The keys to applicant screening: The application, interview, and reference checking process.
Rosen is the author of “The Safe Hiring Manual,” the first comprehensive book on employment screening. He is a frequent presenter nationwide on issues involving background checks and his speaking appearances have included numerous national and statewide conferences. He has qualified and testified as an expert witness on safe hiring and due diligence background checks.
Rosen was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) and served as the first co-chair in 2004. In 1997, he founded Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), a nationwide background check company located in the San Francisco, California area that is accredited by the NAPBS.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’ – will present a complimentary webinar hosted by ESR founder and CEO Attorney Lester Rosen titled ‘Common Ways Consumer Reporting Agencies are Sued Under the FCRA’ on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 11:00 AM to 12:00 Noon PM Pacific Time.
© 2015 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.