Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Total nonfarm employment in the United States increased by 223,000 jobs in April while the unemployment rate and the number of unemployed persons dipped slightly to 5.4 percent and 8.5 million respectively, according to ‘THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION — APRIL 2015’ jobs report released by the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics. The most recent jobs report is available at http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf.
Over the year, the April 2015 jobs report revealed the unemployment rate and the number of unemployed persons were down by 0.8 percentage point and 1.1 million respectively. In April, job gains occurred most in professional and business services, health care, and construction. Among specific industries, the April jobs report revealed:
- Professional and business services employment added 62,000 jobs in April. Over the prior 3 months, job gains averaged 35,000 per month.
- Health care employment increased by 45,000 jobs in April. Over the past year, health care has added 390,000 jobs.
- Construction employment in rose by 45,000 jobs in April after changing little in March. Over the past 12 months, construction has added 280,000 jobs.
- Transportation and warehousing employment continued to trend up in April with the addition of 15,000 jobs.
- Mining employment in fell by 15,000 jobs in April. Since the beginning of the year, employment in mining has declined by 49,000 jobs.
The jobs report found that employment in other major industries, including manufacturing, wholesale trade, retail trade, information, financial activities, leisure and hospitality, and government, showed little change over the month.
The jobs report also revealed the change in total nonfarm employment for February was revised from 264,000 jobs added to 266,000 jobs added while the change for March was revised from 126,000 jobs added to 85,000 jobs added. With these revisions, employment gains in February and March combined were 39,000 jobs lower than previously reported. Over the past 3 months, job gains have averaged 191,000 per month. The jobs report for May 2015 is scheduled to be released on June 5, 2015.
Many job seekers undergo background checks before being hired by employers. Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’ – is a nationwide background screening firm accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NABPS). For more information, call toll free 888.999.4474 or visit http://www.esrcheck.com/.
© 2015 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.