Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney and safe hiring expert Lester Rosen, founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources (ESR), will present an audio conference to discuss EEOC Guidance titled ‘Using Criminal Records in Employment Decisions’ on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time. To learn more, please visit http://www.theindustrycalendar.com/showWCDetails.asp?TCID=1014710.
On March 25, 2012, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) – the agency that enforces federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination – approved an updated ‘Enforcement Guidance on the Consideration of Arrest and Conviction Records in Employment Decisions Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964’ at http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/guidance/arrest_conviction.cfm.
In the 90 minute audio conference for The Industry Calendar, Rosen will go beyond simply repeating the EEOC Guidance language and give “real world” examples and suggestions on what employers should do now to remain in compliance while performing criminal background checks. Attendees of this training will have a road map for action items they can implement immediately to demonstrate legal compliance and will learn:
- Longstanding court decisions and existing EEOC Guidance documents.
- Employment discrimination based on race and national origin, criminal records, and employer practices.
- The differences between arrest and conviction records.
- Disparate treatment and disparate impact analysis under Title VII.
- Employer defenses the EEOC believes meet the “job related and consistent with business necessity” standard.
- Compliance with other federal laws and/or regulations that conflict with Title VII.
- State and local laws or regulations preempted by Title VII.
- EEOC Guidance best practices for employers.
- Option for handling questions about post criminal records.
- Criticisms of the new EEOC Guidance.
- The Good, the Maybe, and the Challenging stemming from the new EEOC Guidance.
- What should employers do now?
Rosen is the author of “The Safe Hiring Manual: The Complete Guide to Employment Screening Background Checks for Employers, Recruiters, and Jobseekers” and “The Safe Hiring Audit.” In 1997, Rosen founded Employment Screening Resources (ESR), a nationwide background check firm accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS).
© 2015 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.