Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Total nonfarm employment in the United States increased by 223,000 jobs in June while the unemployment rate and the number of unemployed persons declined to 5.3 percent and 8.3 million respectively, according to ‘THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION — JUNE 2015’ released by the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics. The latest jobs report is available at http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf.
Among specific industries, the June 2015 jobs report revealed job gains occurred in professional and business services, health care, retail trade, food services and drinking places, financial activities, and transportation and warehousing:
- Professional and business services employment increased by 64,000 in June, about in line with the average monthly gain of 57,000 jobs over the prior 12 months.
- Health care employment added 40,000 jobs in June. Employment in health care had grown by an average of 34,000 jobs per month over the prior 12 months.
- Retail trade employment increased by 33,000 in June and has risen by 300,000 jobs over the year.
- Food services and drinking places employment added 30,000 jobs in June and has increased by 355,000 over the year.
- Financial activities employment increased by 20,000 jobs in June. Employment in financial activities has grown by159,000 jobs over the year.
- Transportation and warehousing employment added 17,000 jobs in June and has increased by 19,000 jobs over the past 3 months.
On the negative side, the June jobs report revealed mining employment lost 4,000 jobs in June and has declined by 71,000 jobs since a recent high in December 2014. Employment in other major industries including construction, manufacturing, wholesale trade, information, and government showed little or no change over the month.
The June jobs report also revised the change in total nonfarm payroll employment for April from 221,000 jobs added to 187,000 jobs added while the change for May was revised from 280,000 jobs added to 254,000 jobs added. With these revisions, employment gains in April and May combined were 60,000 lower than previously reported. Over the past 3 months, job gains have averaged 221,000 per month.
The July jobs report is scheduled to be released on August 7, 2015.
More Jobs Report Blogs from ESR News
Many job seekers undergo background checks before being hired. Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’ – is a nationwide background screening firm accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NABPS). For more information about ESR, please call toll free 888.999.4474 or visit http://www.esrcheck.com/. To read more jobs report blogs, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/tag/jobs-report/.
© 2015 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.