Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
To alert recruiters about the dangers of using the Internet to recruit, Dawn Standerwick, Vice President Strategic Growth for Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), will present the session “Legal Pitfalls and Minefields in the New Age of Recruiting” at the Recruiting Trends Conference 2015 on November 9, 2015, from 2:30 PM to 3:20 PM ET, at Disney’s® Grand Floridian Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
No conference on recruiting or talent acquisition would be complete without a session on the use of social networking for sourcing, recruiting, and employer branding. However, before jumping onto the Web, employers need to be aware of the dangers that abound. What might seem like a strategic use of social media may instead be a fast track to litigation, governmental investigations, and bad press.
In this 50 minute session, Dawn Standerwick of ESR will review some of the legal considerations in using the Internet to select and screen candidates. Social media is here to stay, but if employers do not use this new medium carefully, they may end up spending more time in the courtroom than they do growing their business. The topics covered in this timely session will include:
- Avoiding allegations of discrimination based on prohibited criteria such as race, creed, color, sex, medical condition, marital status, age or other criteria.
- Tempting fate: Assuming that just because information is online, all rights to privacy are waived.
- The Internet as a virtual “Petri dish” for fraud and deceit, with candidates pushing fake credentials, education, and employment histories, and how to avoid these sophisticated scams.
- The latest on how state laws are restricting internet use, such as prohibitions on considering lawful off-duty conduct and on requiring applicant passwords.
- The 2012 Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Guidance on the use of criminal records and how it may change the way every U.S. firm recruits and hires.
- The risks of using social media searches as a form of pre-hire background check.
- Other dangers of using the Internet for recruiting and potential solutions.
A seasoned screening industry professional, Standerwick joined ESR in April of 2015. She brings 25 years of experience in all facets of workforce screening solutions with extensive knowledge of background checks, drug testing, and occupational health testing. In addition to her employment work experience, she has been called upon as background screening subject matter expert.
Standerwick is also a long time member of the Board of Directors for the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), the screening industry’s professional association and accreditation body of which ESR is a founding member, serving as chair elect. She is actively involved on the government relations committee and participates in legislative advocacy efforts on behalf of NAPBS.
The Recruiting Trends Conference will take place from November 8-10, 2015 and gather together leaders in recruiting, sourcing, talent acquisition, and human resources to network, exchange ideas, and share best practices and bold strategies for the hiring process. The full agenda of the Recruiting Trends Conference 2015 is available at www.recruitingtrends.com/agenda/full-agenda.
More Blogs about Recruiting from ESR
Employment Screening Resources® – “The Background Check Authority®” – offers fast, accurate, and affordable background checks so recruiting firms can place job candidates quickly and efficiently. ESR background check services help recruiters find the best job applicants to win the “war for talent.” To learn more about ESR, call toll free 888.999.4474 or visit www.esrcheck.com/sales/.
© 2015 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.