Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The U.S. economy increased by 211,000 jobs in November 2015 while the unemployment rate and the number of unemployed persons remained unchanged at 5.0 percent and 7.9 million respectively, according to ‘THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION — NOVEMBER 2015’ jobs report released by the Department of Labor’s (DOL) Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The report revealed that the unemployment rate and the number of unemployed persons were down by 0.8 percentage point and 1.1 million respectively over the past 12 months. In November, job gains occurred in construction, food services and drinking places, retail trade, professional and technical services, and health care. Among specific industry sectors:
- Construction employment rose by 46,000 jobs in November. Over the past year, construction employment has grown by 259,000 jobs.
- Food services and drinking places employment added 32,000 jobs in November and has risen by 374,000 jobs over the year.
- Retail trade employment rose by 31,000 jobs in November and has increased by 284,000 jobs over the year.
- Professional and technical services employment added 28,000 jobs in November and has added 298,000 jobs over the year.
- Health care employment increased by 24,000 jobs over the month, following a large gain in October. Health care employment has grown by 470,000 jobs over the year.
On the negative side, mining employment lost 11,000 jobs in November while information employment lost 12,000 jobs over the month. Employment in other major industries, including manufacturing, wholesale trade, transportation and warehousing, financial activities, and government, changed little over the month.
The report also revised the change in employment for September from 137,000 jobs added to 145,000 jobs added while the change in employment for October was revised from 271,000 jobs added to 298,000 jobs added. With these revisions, employment gains in September and October combined were 12,000 jobs more than previously reported.
The Employment Situation for December 2015 is scheduled to be released on January 8, 2016. The most recent Employment Situation released by the Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is available at www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf. For blogs about past jobs reports, visit www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/tag/jobs-report/.
Employers Filling Jobs Need Background Checks
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) is a global background screening firm that offers fast, accurate, and economical background checks. ESR is accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) and has completed a SOC 2 Type 2 audit report. To learn more, please call toll free 888.999.4474 or visit www.esrcheck.com.
© 2015 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.