Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The U.S. economy added 151,000 jobs in January while the unemployment rate dropped to 4.9 percent and the number of unemployed people fell to 7.8 million, according to ‘THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION — JANUARY 2016’ released by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The jobs report found that over the past 12 months, the unemployment rate and the number of unemployed persons were down by 0.8 percentage point and 1.1 million. Employment rose in several industries, led by retail trade, food services and drinking places, health care, and manufacturing.
- Retail trade employment added 58,000 jobs in January, following essentially no change in December. Employment in retail trade has increased by 301,000 over the past 12 months.
- Food services and drinking employment places employment rose by 47,000 jobs in January. Over the year, the industry has added 384,000 jobs.
- Health care employment added 37,000 jobs in January. Health care has added 470,000 jobs over the past 12 months.
- Manufacturing employment added 29,000 jobs in January, following little employment change in 2015.
- Financial activities employment rose by 18,000 jobs in January.
- Professional and business services employment added 9,000 jobs in January.
Private educational services employment lost 39,000 jobs, transportation and warehousing employment decreased by 20,000, in mining employment declined by 7,000 jobs in January. Employment in other major industries including construction, wholesale trade, and government, changed little in the month.
The change in employment for November was revised from 252,000 jobs added to 280,000 jobs added and the change for December was revised from 292,000 jobs added to 262,000 jobs added. With these revisions, employment gains in November and December were 2,000 lower than previously reported.
The ‘THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION’ is released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) on the first Friday of every month. The Employment Situation for February is scheduled to be released on March 4, 2016. Until that day, the current jobs report will be available at www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf.
ESR Helps Employers Fill Jobs with Background Checks
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) is a leading global screening firm providing fast, accurate, affordable, and compliant background check services to enable employers to make informed hiring decisions. To learn more about ESR, please call toll free 888.999.4474 or visit us at www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this web site is for educational purposes only.
© 2016 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.