Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester Rosen, founder and CEO of background check firm Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), will host a live webinar for Aurora Training Advantage entitled “Background Checks and Legal Compliance” on Thursday, December 8, 2016 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time. To register for this event, visit http://auroratrainingadvantage.com/webinars/background-checks-legal-compliance-2/.
Rosen – author of “The Safe Hiring Manual” – will help companies understand the many laws and regulations they must comply with when using background checks to screen applicants and avoid background check compliance nightmares. Attendees of the 90 minute webinar will gain the information they need to conduct thorough, effective, and compliant background checks. The agenda will include:
- Compliance with the 2012 U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Compliance (EEOC) Guidance on the use of criminal records for background checks.
- Compliance with the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) that regulates background checks.
- The impact of state laws on background checks.
- New laws on credit reports, social media passwords, and offshoring personal information used for background checks.
- How to rescind an offer after a background check comes back with an arrest or a conviction.
- The EEOC’s “three-factor test” when considering an applicant with a criminal history.
- Should an employer “ban the box” on an application form?
- Understanding how the EEOC views arrests vs. convictions.
- Does your state prohibit discrimination based on arrest records?
- What to do when an employee has to do jail time for his second DUI or some other offense.
- The keys to applicant screening: The application, interview and reference checking process
Rosen is a frequent speaker on issues involving due diligence background checks for the “ESR Speaks” background check training program. His speaking appearances have included numerous national and statewide HR conferences. He was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®) and served as first co-chair.
Rosen founded Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) in 1997 in the San Francisco, California-area. ESR is accredited by the NAPBS® and also undergoes annual SOC 2® data security audits to ensure the protection of the consumer information used for background checks. For more information about ESR – a leading global provider of background checks for employment purposes – visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2016 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.