University of Minnesota to Ban the Box on Student Admission Applications

ban-the-box-new

Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn

Starting in the Fall of 2017, the University of Minnesota will adopt a Ban the Box rule on student admission applications and applicants to the school will no longer have to answer questions about past felony convictions or pending criminal charges, according to a report from the Minnesota Daily.

However, the Minnesota Daily reports that under the Ban the Box rule “applicants will still be required to disclose whether they have a history of academic dishonesty or sexual offense.” In addition, the University “will continue asking about felonies and misdemeanors on campus housing applications.”

While the University of Minnesota recently decided to use the national “Common App” program which asks applicants questions about their criminal history, the University “will not be accept data from the felony question on the Common App” under the Ban the Box rule, the Minnesota Daily reports.

The complete report about the Ban the Box rule from the Minnesota Daily – a student-led media organization serving the University of Minnesota campus and the surrounding community – is available online at www.mndaily.com/article/2016/12/felony-question-taken-off-admission-application.

The University of Minnesota is joining other colleges who have adopted Ban the Box rules. In September 2016, the State University of New York (SUNY) – a system of public institutions of higher education in New York state – voted to Ban the Box and eliminate questions about criminal records on applications.

According to the National Employment Law Project (NELP), 24 states and over 150 cities and counties have Ban the Box laws that help remove barriers to employment for qualified workers with criminal records so they can be judged first on their knowledge, skills, abilities, and qualifications to do the job.

ESR Ban the Box Information Page

Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) offers employers a Ban the Box Information Page with breaking news and legal updates about Ban the Box states, Ban the Box cities and counties, and Ban the Box resources. The ESR Ban the Box Information Page is available at www.esrcheck.com/Ban-the-Box/.

NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.

© 2016 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.