Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester Rosen, founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), has updated and expanded a new Third Edition of his comprehensive book on background checks – “The Safe Hiring Manual – The Complete Guide to Employment Screening Background Checks for Employers, Recruiters, and Jobseekers” (Facts On Demand Press/840 pages) – that will be published in late January 2017. For more information and to order the book, please visit www.esrcheck.com/The-Safe-Hiring-Manual/.
The third edition of “The Safe Hiring Manual” – available at the list price of $24.95 on Amazon.com, the BRB Publications website, and booksellers nationwide – goes far beyond the typical hiring handbook and is a comprehensive blueprint for developing a safe hiring program for employers, human resources, and security professionals. The book details how to exercise due diligence throughout the hiring process in order to avoid the costly financial and legal nightmares of even one bad hiring decision. Topics covered include:
- Information on how to avoid lawsuits involving the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Guidance.
- Updates on Discrimination, Ban-the-Box, Privacy, and Data Protection Rules.
- International Screening, Social Media Searches, Criminal Records, and Credit Checks.
- Negligent Hiring, Insider Threats, State Laws, and 2nd Chances for Ex-Offenders.
Significant changes to the third edition of “The Safe Hiring Manual” include both updated content and a re-organized flow. The new content includes analysis of recent court decisions and new discrimination and privacy laws affecting employers, as well as guidance from the federal government on performing background checks when hiring. With this book – which also includes tips from several expert attorneys – companies of all sizes can identify potential problems and learn compliant hiring practices such as:
- How to create and establish comprehensive screening policies, practices, and procedures for safe hiring.
- How to verify degrees and credentials, and legally obtain and use criminal records.
- The best practices associated with all the components of a background check.
- In-depth pre-employment background screening and safe hiring techniques.
- How to audit the effectiveness of current safe hiring programs.
In 1997, Rosen founded Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) in the San Francisco, California area. He was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®) and served as first co-chair. Along with “The Safe Hiring Manual,” Rosen is the author of “The Safe Hiring Audit” and numerous articles on screening. A noted background check expert, his speaking appearances have included several national and international conferences.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) is a global provider of background checks that is a strategic choice for businesses needing accurate and actionable information to make informed hiring decisions. ESR is accredited by the NAPBS and also completes annual SOC 2® Audits to meet high standards for protecting the security, confidentiality, and privacy of consumer data used on background checks. For more information about ESR, please call Toll Free 888.999.4474 or visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2017 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.