Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 227,000 jobs in January 2017 while the unemployment rate increased by 0.1 percentage point to 4.8 percent, according to the Employment Situation report released by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The BLS report revealed the number of unemployed persons in the U.S. increased to 7.6 million in January 2017. Employment increased in retail trade, construction, and financial activities. The following industries all saw job growth in the past month:
- Retail trade employment increased by 46,000 jobs over the month and by 229,000 jobs over the year.
- Construction employment rose by 36,000 jobs in January and has added 170,000 jobs over the past 12 months.
- Financial activities employment added 32,000 jobs in January and added an average of 15,000 jobs per month in 2016.
- Food services and drinking places employment added 30,000 jobs in January and has added 286,000 jobs over the past 12 months.
- Professional and technical services employment rose by 23,000 jobs in January, about the average monthly gain in 2016.
- Health care employment added 18,000 jobs in January and has added 374,000 jobs over the past 12 months.
Employment in other major industries including mining and logging, manufacturing, wholesale trade, transportation and warehousing, information, and government, showed little change over the month, according to the BLS report.
The employment situation for November was revised from 204,000 jobs to 164,000 jobs while December was revised from 156,000 jobs to 157,000 jobs. With the revisions, employment gains in October and November were 39,000 jobs lower than previously reported.
The Employment Situation report is released by the BLS on the first Friday of every month. The Employment Situation for February 2017 is scheduled to be released on March 10, 2017. Until then, the latest report is available at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm (PDF).
ESR Helps Employers Fill Jobs with Background Checks
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) is a leading global background check provider and a strategic choice for employers needing accurate and actionable information to make informed hiring decisions. To learn more about ESR, visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2017 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.