Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 235,000 jobs in February 2017 while the unemployment rate decreased by 0.1 percentage point to 4.7 percent, according to the Employment Situation report released by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The report revealed the number of unemployed persons in the U.S. decreased to 7.5 million in February 2017. Employment increased in construction, professional and technical services employment private educational services, manufacturing, health care, and mining.
- Construction employment rose by 58,000 jobs in February and has added 177,000 jobs over the past 6 months.
- Professional and technical services employment added 37,000 jobs in February and has added 597,000 jobs over the year.
- Private educational services employment increased by 29,000 jobs in February and by 105,000 jobs over the year.
- Manufacturing employment added 28,000 jobs in February and added 57,000 jobs over the past three months.
- Health care employment rose by 27,000 jobs in February and has added 30,000 jobs per month over the year.
- Mining employment added 8,000 jobs in February and has risen by 20,000 jobs since reaching a recent low in October 2016.
Retail trade employment lost 26,000 jobs in February, while employment in other major industries including wholesale trade, transportation and warehousing, information, financial activities, leisure and hospitality, and government showed little or no change.
The employment situation for December was revised from 157,000 to 155,000 jobs added while January was revised from 227,000 to 238,000 jobs added. With the revisions, employment gains in these two months were 9,000 jobs more than previously reported.
The Employment Situation report is usually released on the first Friday of every month. The Employment Situation for March 2017 is scheduled to be released on April 7, 2017. Until then, the latest report is available at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm (PDF).
ESR Helps Employers Fill Jobs with Background Checks
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) is a leading global background check provider and a strategic choice for employers needing accurate and actionable information to make informed hiring decisions quickly and easily. To learn more, visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2017 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.