Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Winter Storm Stella, which The Weather Channel reports is “hammering the Northeast with heavy snow, intensifying winds, even some accumulating ice,” and led to blizzard warnings in parts of nine states from Pennsylvania to Maine, has also caused many court closures in the areas affected by the massive storm.
The Weather Channel reports heavy snow and blizzard conditions will stretch from Pennsylvania into New England with snowfall rates of 1 to 4 inches per hour that could result in more than a foot of snow with wind gusts up to 50 mph. The following states have court closures due to Winter Storm Stella:
- Connecticut: All Judicial Branch courthouses and administrative offices will be closed on Tuesday, March 14, 2017, due to Winter Storm Stella. Learn more at www.jud.ct.gov.
- Maine: Maine Judicial Supreme Court will be closed on Tuesday, March 14, 2017, due to Winter Storm Stella. Learn more at www.courts.maine.gov/maine_courts/schedules/closings.shtml.
- Maryland: Several courts in the state have reported closings or delays due to Winter Storm Stella. Learn more at http://mdcourts.gov/administration/closingsdelays.html.
- Massachusetts: Courts will be closed across the state on March 14, 2017, due to Winter Storm Stella to ensure the safety of court users and court staff. Learn more at www.mass.gov/courts/emergency-court-closures.html.
- New Hampshire: Check the inclement weather telephone system prior to attending jury selection or trials to see if any courts are closed due to Winter Storm Stella. Learn more at www.courts.state.nh.us/jury/weather.htm.
- New Jersey: Atlantic County Civil Courts building and Mays Landing Criminal Courts Complex will be closed on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 due to Winter Storm Stella. Learn more at www.judiciary.state.nj.us/closings.html.
- New York: All Courts (Supreme & County, Family, Surrogate and City Courts and the Commissioner of Jurors Office) in the Ninth JD (Dutchess, Putnam, Orange, Rockland and Westchester County will be closed on Tuesday March 14, 2017, due to Winter Storm Stella. Learn more at www.nycourts.gov/courts/9jd/emergency.shtml.
- Pennsylvania: The Harrisburg Filing Offices for the Supreme, Superior, and Commonwealth Courts of Pennsylvania located in the Pennsylvania Judicial Center (PJC), will be closed on March 14, 2017, due to Winter Storm Stella. Learn more at www.pacourts.us.
- Rhode Island: The Governor has closed state offices and all courts are closed on Tuesday, March 14, 2017, due to Winter Storm Stella. Learn more at www.courts.ri.gov/Pages/default.aspx.
- Vermont: All state courts and court offices will close on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 10:30 AM due to Winter Storm Stella. Learn more at www.vermontjudiciary.org/MasterDocument/Court%20Closure%20031417.pdf.
As reported earlier by ESR News, several major storms have closed courts in Northeast states in recent years including Winter Storm Jonas in January 2016, Winter Storm Juno in January 2015, Winter Storm Janus in January 2014, and the Hurricane Sandy Super Storm in October 2012.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2017 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.