Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester Rosen, founder and CEO of global background check firm Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), will present a webinar for Clear Law Institute – “Dealing with Employees Charged with a Crime” – on Thursday, July 27, 2017, from 3:00 PM to 4:15 PM ET. To register for this event, visit http://clearlawinstitute.com/shop/webinars/dealing-with-employees-charged-with-a-crime/.
During the one hour and 15 minute webinar, Rosen – the author of “The Safe Hiring Manual” and a frequent speaker on background check issues for the “ESR Speaks” program – will cover a variety of topics associated with handling an arrest of an employee. Upon completion of the course, attendees of the webinar (which can be attended live or watched later at their convenience) will be able to:
- List an employer’s options when an employee or a temporary worker is arrested.
- Understand federal and state laws impacting privacy, termination, or leaves pending resolution of the case.
- Describe the EEOC’s position on the use of arrests and criminal matters and why an “Individualized Assessment” is critical before any final decision.
- Describe how to get additional facts and how much weight to give to the arrested employee’s account of events.
- Learn the basics of the criminal justice system in order to understand the magnitude of an offense and associated resolution time.
- Understand options for employers while the matter is being resolved in court.
- Explore policies and procedures an employer can have in place.
- Describe how a solid background check program may help present workplace disruption.
“When an employee is arrested for a serious crime, an employer is pulled in multiple directions,” says Rosen. “On one hand, an employer does not want to overreact, violate an employee’s privacy, violate state or federal law, or engage in discrimination. Conversely, an employer has an obligation to exercise due diligence which can include protecting co-workers or other potential victims and the business.”
The webinar is pre-approved for 1.25 hours of general recertification credit toward PHR and SPHR recertification from the HR Certification Institute (HRCI). Clear Law Institute is recognized by the Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM) to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. This program is valid for 1.25 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.
Rosen founded Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) in the San Francisco, California area in 1997. He was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) and served as first co-chair. To learn more information about ESR, which is accredited by the NAPBS, please call toll free 888.999.4474 or visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2017 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.