Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The U.S. economy added 228,000 jobs while the unemployment rate and number of unemployed persons remained largely unchanged at 4.1 percent and 6.6 million in November 2017, according to the Employment Situation released by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The Employment Situation for November 2017 revealed an increase for employment in professional and business services, manufacturing, health care, and construction. Employment growth has averaged 174,000 jobs per month thus far this year, compared with an average monthly gain of 187,000 jobs in 2016.
- Professional and business services employment added 46,000 jobs in November and has increased by 548,000 jobs over the past 12 months.
- Manufacturing employment added 31,000 jobs in November and has increased by 189,000 jobs since a recent low in November 2016.
- Health care employment added 30,000 jobs in November and has averaged 24,000 jobs per month so far in 2017 compared with an average increase of 32,000 jobs per month in 2016.
- Construction employment increased by 23,000 jobs in November and by 132,000 jobs over the year.
- Employment in other major industries including mining, wholesale trade, retail trade, transportation and warehousing, information, financial activities, leisure and hospitality, and government changed little over the month.
The change in employment for September 2017 was revised from 18,000 jobs added to 38,000 jobs added while October 2017 was revised from 261,000 jobs added to 244,000 jobs added. With the revisions, employment gains in these two months were 3,000 jobs more than previously reported.
The Employment Situation statistics are from the Current Population Survey (CPS) and the Current Employment Statistics survey (CES). The CPS provides information on the labor force, employment, and unemployment. The CES provides information on employment, hours, and earnings of employees on nonfarm payrolls.
The Employment Situation is usually released on the first Friday of every month. The Employment Situation for December 2017 is scheduled to be released on January 5, 2018. Until then, the most recent Employment Situation is available at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm (PDF).
ESR HELPS EMPLOYERS FILL JOBS WITH BACKGROUND CHECKS
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a leading global background check firm – helps employers in any industry fill jobs using background checks of job applicants. To learn more about ESR, visit www.esrcheck.com. Follow ESR on social media at Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2017 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.