Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
To help employers with the background checks of applicants who do not fall under “traditional” job categories, Attorney Lester S. Rosen, founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), will present the webinar “Background Checks of Non-Traditional Applicants” for online continuing education provider Clear Law Institute on Wednesday, January 10, 2018, from 12:00 PM to 1:15 PM Pacific Time.
Most employers are familiar with performing background checks on “traditional” applicants – meaning workers they are going to hire and put on their payroll – and concerned with remaining in compliance with the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), state laws, and rules such as “Ban the Box” and the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Guidance on criminal records.
However, there are also a host of other situations in which employers may wish to conduct background checks outside of the traditional applicant/employer relationship. In those situations, decision makers need to understand the effectiveness of screening tools and their legal obligations. Attendees of this practical webinar will learn about “non-traditional” uses of background checks which can include:
- Temporary/part time or contract workers from a staffing vendor.
- Independent (1099) contractors.
- Workers on the payroll through a staffing vendor such as a Professional Employer Organization (PRO).
- “Gig” economy workers such as drivers for Transportation Network Companies (TNCs) and other on demand services such as house cleaning or delivering dry cleaning.
- Dating services and other “trusted” verification services.
- Colleges and graduate programs.
- Volunteers for churches, youth sports, or youth programs, and other situations involving vulnerable people.
- Vendors where workers need to be screened before badging or being allowed on premises.
- Nannies and caregivers.
- In-home repair workers.
- Memberships (such as social clubs or country clubs).
- Temporary home rentals.
- Condominium associations.
- JOBS Act Crowdfunding Checks.
- Partners and joint ventures.
- Board members or key members of companies.
The webinar “Background Checks of Non-Traditional Applicants” is worth 1.25 General Credits from the HR Certification Institute (HRCI) and 1.25 General Credits from the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). To register for the webinar on January 10, 2018, from 12:00 PM to 1:15 PM PT, visit https://clearlawinstitute.com/shop/webinars/background-checks-of-non-traditional-applicants/.
Rosen founded Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) in the San Francisco, California area in 1997. He is the author of “The Safe Hiring Manual – The Complete Guide to Employment Screening Background Checks for Employers, Recruiters and Jobseekers” (3rd Edition 2017), a book that has been called “an encyclopedia of hiring guidelines” and “a blueprint for developing safe hiring practices” in reviews.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a leading global provider of background checks and a strategic choice for employers – is accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®) and undergoes annual SOC 2® audits to protect the privacy, security, and confidentiality of consumer information used for background checks. To learn more about ESR, visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2018 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.