Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 157,000 jobs in July 2018 while the unemployment rate edged down to 3.9 percent during the month, according to the Employment Situation report released by the U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The jobs report for July 2018 revealed that the number of unemployed persons declined to 6.3 million while job gains occurred in professional and business services, manufacturing, food services and drinking places, construction, and health care. Among specific business sectors:
- Professional and business services employment increased by 51,000 jobs in July 2018 and has risen by 518,000 jobs over the year.
- Manufacturing employment added 37,000 jobs in July 2018 and has risen by 327,000 jobs over the past twelve months.
- Food services and drinking places employment added 26,000 jobs and has risen by 203,000 jobs over the year.
- Construction employment added 19,000 jobs in July 2018 and has increased by 308,000 jobs over the past year.
- Health care employment rose by 17,000 jobs in July 2018 and has increased by 286,000 jobs over the past year.
Retail trade employment rose by 7,000 jobs in July 2018. Employment showed little or no change over the month in other major industries including mining, wholesale trade, transportation and warehousing, information, financial activities, and government.
The change in employment for May 2018 was revised from 244,000 jobs added to 268,000 jobs added while Juney 2018 was revised from 213,000 jobs added to 248,000 jobs added. With the revisions, employment gains in these two months were 59,000 jobs more than previously reported.
The Employment Situation is usually released on the first Friday of every month. The Employment Situation for July 2018 is scheduled to be released on Friday, September 7, 2018. Until then, the most recent Employment Situation is available at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm (PDF).
ESR Helps Employers Fill Jobs with Background Checks
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a global background check firm – helps employers in every industry fill jobs using fast, accurate, affordable, and compliant background checks of job applicants. To learn more about ESR, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, or visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2018 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.