Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester Rosen, founder and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of leading global background check firm Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), will present a live webinar entitled “Illegal Pre-Employment Screening Practices: Update on Ban-the-Box, Salary History Inquiries, and Background Checks” on Thursday, September 20, 2018, from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Eastern (10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Pacific).
Rosen – author of “The Safe Hiring Manual” and a noted background check expert – will show employers how to manage pre-employment screening practices to avoid legal liability under new laws such as “Ban the Box” restrictions on questions about criminal records, prohibitions on salary history inquiries, and other rules for background checks of prospective hires. Attendees the 90-minute webinar will learn:
- The latest updates on Ban the Box laws and salary history inquiry restrictions.
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) rules concerning employee background checks.
- Best practices for reviewing job advertisements, employment applications, and related forms.
- Best practices for ensuring compliance when your company operates across multiple states or cities.
- Whether you have to explain if you decide against hiring someone because of a criminal record and why.
- How to establish background check policies that link the decision-making to job descriptions.
- How to avoid “red flag” issues that could result in disparate treatment and disparate impact.
- The importance of individualized assessments to avoid discrimination claims.
By the end of this interactive webinar – which is being hosted by Business & Legal Resources (BLR) – attendees will have the latest information on the policy-based and procedural safeguards and be better prepared to comply with applicable laws governing pre-employment screening practices and how to conduct effective background checks while staying within the law. To register for the webinar, click here.
This webinar is approved for 1.5 hours of general recertification credit for Professional in Human Resources (PHR) and Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) recertification by the HR Certification Institute (HRCI), and 1.5 Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM CP (Certificated Professional) or SHRM SCP (Senior Certificated Professional) by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM).
Rosen founded Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) in the San Francisco, California-area in 1997. He is a frequent presenter on pre-employment screening issues for “ESR Speaks”. He was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a professional trade organization for the screening industry, and served as the co-chair in 2004.
“ESR Speaks” Presentations about Background Checks
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) has provided engaging and informative speakers on the subject of background checks for webinars, seminars, and conferences nationwide for more than a decade to help employers, recruiters, and HR professionals better understand background checks. To learn more about upcoming events, please visit www.esrcheck.com/Tools-Resources/Event-Calendar/.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2018 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.